South Carolina, USA
Son of Peter & Dicey Walker Brimberry
Matthias Brimberry (1799 SC-1854/55 TX)married Elizabeth Minton (daughter of Joseph and Lucretia Minton) in Greene County in 1827.
Matthias and Elizabeth (Minton) Brimberry appeared on the 1830 census in Madison where Matthias plied his trade as a wagon-maker before moving to Monroe. His father probably died about this time, leaving him with responsiblity for his younger siblings in as much as his two older brothers had died 1828/1829 and his younger brother and sisters (William H., Susan W., Elizabeth, Amelia C., and Armanda Brimberry) all married between 1830-1838 in Morgan or Walton County.
Matthias was elected captain of Walton County's 417th militia district in 1831; and moved to Copiah County, Mississippi about 1837 and to Claiborne Parish, Louisiana around 1842. In 1852, Matthais moved his family to Houston County, Texas where he died about 1854/56. Elizabeth (Minton) Brimberry saw five sons ride off to war, Elizabeth died before 1870.
Matthias and Elizabeth (Minton) Brimberry had seven children:
1. John M. Brimberry, born 1828 in Morgan County, married Mary L.E. Jamerson in 1852 in Cherokee County, Texas. Childless, they probably died in mid-1850s cholera epidemic which swept Texas.
2. James M. Brimberry, born 1830 in Morgan County, married Martha Cannady about 1858 in Houston County, Texas. James, along with brothers, Peter and George, served in Randal's 28thTexas Cavalry Regiment. James was killed in a skirmish in White County, Arkansas and is buried beside several fallen comrades and foes in Old Dogwood Cemetery, five miles south of Griffithville. He and Martha had one son, Jasper, who died young.
3. Mary Brimberry, born 1832 in Walton County. Married Robert J. Beard, Jr. about 1855 in Texas and died before 1860. She and Robert had one son, Thomas J. Beard (1856 Texas- 1917 Logan County, Arkansas). Robert moved to Arkansas and was killed during the Civil War. An orphan, Thomas married first Eudora Smith (1858-1899). Their 9 children, all born in Logan County, were: Susan (m. Elmer Frost); John W. (m. Martha Friddle); Omer D. (m. Clara Mills); Thomas J. (m. Flora Denton); Marietta (m. Walter Hawk); Alberta (m. S. Archie Penicks); Alma (Bert Young); William F. (m. Ethel Hoover); and Herbert C. (m. Mary Woodall).
4. Elbert Brimberry
5. Peter Brimberry
6. William Henry Harrison brimberry
7. George Anderson Brimberry
Elizabeth Minton Brimberry (1809 - 1860)
James Brimberry (1830 - ____)*
Elbert Brimberry (1836 - 1884)*
Peter Brimberry (1838 - 1880)*
William Harrison Brimberry (1841 - 1900)*
George Anderson Brimberry (1843 - 1923)*
Denson Homesite Cemetery
Created by: MYates Vandver
Record added: Aug 17, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 40790606