|Birth: ||Feb. 2, 1778|
|Death: ||Jan. 28, 1852|
By tradition it is believed Daniel Harmon Austin was interred with his wife Lydia at Balltown Cemetery, but either he had no gravestone or it no longer exists.
Daniel was the s. of David Austin and Mary Harmon. On Sept. 28, 1805 at Waterbury, VT, Daniel m. Lydia Jane Hovey, dau. of Rev. Jonathan Hovey and Mary Storrs, b. Sept. 27, 1784 at Mansfield, Conn., Lydia's father performing the marriage ceremony. They would have eight children, seven b. at Barre or Waterbury, Vermont and the youngest at Missouri.
An extended bio will be added later, including the family's involvement as missionaries at Harmony Mission to the Osage Indians in Osage Indian Territory (1821-1835), now Bates County, MO. Daniel and Lydia had the following eight children:
• i. Alpha Miller, b. Nov. 1, 1806 at Waterbury, VT; d. there an infant Mar. 11, 1813.
• ii. John Hovey Austin, Sr., b. May 7, 1809 at Waterbury, VT, d. May 8, 1861 at Deepwater, MO; m. circa 1839, Jane Montgomery Jones, dau. of Harmony Missionaries Rev. Amasa Jones and Roxana Stearns, b. Jan. 26, 1824 at Harmony Mission to the Osage Indians in Osage Indian Terr., now Missouri. She d. Dec. 8, 1899 at Nevada, MO. Eleven children of the family.
• iii. Mary Harmon Austin, b. Jan. 19, 1811 at Waterbury, VT, d. Jan. 18, 1890 ar Deerfield, MO.; m. Oct. 25, 1827 at Harmony Mission in Osage Indian Terr. as his second wife, Harmony and sister Union Missionary George Requa, s. of Glode Requa and Judith Comb, b. Sept. 11, 1798 at Mount Pleaant, NY. He d. Apr. 18, 1856 at Bates County, MO. Eight children of the family.
• iv. David Austin, b. Feb. 28, 1813 at Waterbury, VT; d. there an infant June 29, 1814.
• v. Josiah Miller Austin, b. Nov. 26, 1815 at Barre, VT, d. Aug. 5, 1887 at Prairie View, KS having never married.
• vi. Phebe Austin, b. May 12, 1818 at Barre, VT, d. Sept. 2, 1891 at Prairie View, KS; m. Oct. 6, 1836 at Little Osage, MO, Jonathan Edwards Dodge, Sr., s. of Harmony Missionaries Rev. Nathaniel Brown Dodge and Sarah "Sally" Gale, b. May 2, 1814 at Underhill, VT. He d. Apr. 9, 1851 at Nevada City, CA while seeking his fortune. Five children of the family.
• vii. Storrs Austin, b. circa 1820 at Waterbury, VT, d. unmarried May 8, 1851 at Nevada City, CA while seeking his fortune with his brother-in-law Jonathan E. Dodge.
• viii. Sarah Elizabeth Austin, b. Sept. 5, 1823 at Harmony Mission in the Osage Indian Terr., now Bates County, MO, d. Mar. 11, 1884 at New Albany, Indiana; m. May 19, 1842 at Little Osage, MO, John Flavel Garrison, Sr., s. of Mark Garrison and Mary Judge. He d. in 1851 at El Dorado County, CA while seeking his fortune in company with his two brother-in-laws, Jonathan E. Dodge and Storrs Austin. Four children of the family.
Lydia Jane Hovey Austin (1784 - 1844)
John Hovey Austin (1809 - 1861)*
Mary Harmon Austin Requa (1811 - 1890)*
Josiah Miller Austin (1815 - 1887)*
Phebe Austin Dodge (1818 - 1891)*
Sarah Elizabeth Austin Garrison (1823 - 1884)*
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: May 30, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53042645