North Carolina, USA
Clarissa was the second wife of Needham Ward Eason Sr. who was born in 1811; his first marriagewas to Helen Ward on 3 Dec 1833 in Onslow Co, NC, and his second to Clarissa Ann Hancock. Mr. Eason died October 8, 1858, Lavaca County, Texas, according to his tombstone in Eason Cemetery, top part of the white marble marker is missing which gives his birthday. His matching marble footstone was uncovered February 20, 2011 in the dirt pile over his grave, cleaned, and respositioned. His grave, surrounded on 2 sides by an ornate iron fence, is the only grave that remains at the site of this small cemetery. Giant oak trees cover the grave.
Needham married Helen Ward on 3 Dec 1833 in Onslow Co, NC. (Helen Ward was born in Onslow Co, NC.)
Needham next married Clarissa Ann Hancock. Clarissa Ann Hancock was born in 1828 in Onslow Co, NC and died in Colorado County, TX. Her date of death is unknown but Eason family legend has it that she was buried in the Eason Cemetery next to her husband, Needham Ward Eason. Her grave is not recognizable now (2011). • Civil War. However, over and above the loss of the slaves, the end of the war had severe economic consequences for the county's richest men. Few people, it must be imagined, were prudent enough to invest their wealth in gold, silver, or foreign currencies. Those who relied on their own nation's money, that is, Confederate currency and bonds, found themselves without capital when the nation was dissolved. One such, Needham Ward Eason, Jr., returned to Colorado County in 1865 to find that his widowed step-mother, Clarissa Ann Eason, had invested his inheritance in suddenly worthless Confederate bonds, bonds to which he had had no access when they had value.
The Children of Needham Ward Eason, Sr.:
1. By his first wife, Helen Ward
- Dr. Needham Ward Eason Jr. - Nathan Eason, Born: 1858, Colorado County, TX
2. By hus second wife, Clarissa Ann Hancock
-Christian Eason (See her details on the memorial to Mr. Eason)
1. An old hand-written family letter we have in our possession states that: Needham W. Eason and his wife Clarissa Ann Hancock Eason are buried in the old burial ground in Lavaca County, not far from the Colorado County Line and about 4 or 5 miles from Oakland, Texas. The graves when papa visited it in 1946 were intact. He said, "It is surrounded by a substantial and solid iron fence, and the tombstone was in place and the inscriptions were clearly legible." Papa (This is W. L. Eason, Dec. 4, 1877 - Aug. 8, 1961) had two names of people to see in Halletsville who could give information: Mr. G. O. Little and Judge Paul H. Fertsch. This was in an inventory in his Will dated September 2, 1858 (A 554) 988 acres of land out of Breedlove League, principally in Lavaca Cunty and running over into Colorado county, 220 acres of the above in cultivation, 20 negroes, horses, cattle, etc.
2. Weldon Lee Eason and Dr. Jim Moshinskie originally found the tiny Eason Cemetery in 1994 with some help of nearby residents who knew of the Eason legacy. One of them still had an antique shotgun with the name EASON hand carved into the wooden stock. The cemetery was in a sad shape, due to time and massive falling limbs from the surrounding giant oak trees. The cemetery was surrounded by grazing cattle. We returned in 2002 and barely found the Eason grave, the cemetery being so overgrown and damaged by fallen limbs. When we returned Feb 20, 2011, to our surprise, we found the area around the sole remaining Eason grave had been cleared nicely. We installed a new marker with Mr. Eason's name and year of birth (1811) and year of his death (Oct 8, 1858). We also noticed the original gate on the remaining ornate iron fence around 2 sides of is grave had been surprisingly changed from the one we photographed in 1994 to a different gate. We think that the original gate had been damaged by a falling limb and someone had replaced it with another old gate(?). Quite interesting.
Needham Ward Eason (1811 - 1858)*
Created by: Jim (Dr. Mo) Moshinskie,...
Record added: Feb 21, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65975462