|Birth: ||Nov. 29, 1891|
|Death: ||Oct. 26, 1974|
Van Buren County
"Mirtie" was the daughter of the late James Monroe Bryant & Roxie Ann Gordon.
Mertie married Joseph "Joe" Bowman in 1909 in AR. They had one daughter; Bernice Bowman who married Doy Walton Bell of Bell City, MO and one son; James Melancton "Lank" who married Erma Lee Malone of Formasa, AR.
Mertie's sisters and brother:
(1) Nancy "Zellar" Bryant Richardson married 12 Sept 1909 in Conway County, AR to Jacob Arthur "Jake" Richardson they lived in Groves, Jefferson County, TX. Children: Lillian Lee, Lucille Marvelle, Fay Dean, George Kilburn, Phillip Kavanaugh & Robert Fletcher Richardson.
(2) Lou Ella "Ellie" Bryant Harrington married Irving Harrington and lived at Malden, Dunklin, MO. Children: Montine, Roy Dee, Zulema, Jim & Benny. They also raised Ellie's nephew, Larry Robert "Bobby" (Johnny & Irene's son), Irene died when he was born.
(3) Cerrena Lina "Renie" Bryant Childress married to Granville Randal Childress, they lived in Hale Center, Hale, TX. Children: Gustine, Jackie, Jimmy & Franklyn D. Childress.
(4) John Thomas "Johnny" Bryant, who lived in rural Austin, AR. In 1926, Johnny married Irene Bowling Bryant daughter of Isom Bowling & Ella Winningham. Irene was Johnny's first wife, she died giving birth to Larry Robert. Larry Robert was raised by Johnny's sister Ella and Johnny raised the others. Children of Johnny and Irene: stillborn son in 1926, Daughter that lived for 2 days, Willard Frances, Ilene, Aneta, Sharon, Kenneth, Joe Kermit, James Isom, Eldon & Larry Robert. On 1 Apr 1956 he married his second wife, Maudie Harnish (d. 26 Dec 1978), they had no children.
Mertie's mother, Roxie Ann Gordon at the age of 15 married her first husband, Isaac Newton Halbrook (24 years old) on August 22, 1878 in Conway County, Arkansas. They had 5 children and Newton died on January 9, 1888 at age 33. Roxie then at the age of 27 married James Monroe Bryant (33 years old) in 1889 and they had 5 children.
Newton and Roxie's six children: (Mertie's Half Brothers & Sisters)
(1) Sarah Ann Halbrook: (b.2/28/1878 d./20/1962) - Sarah married Joseph Henry Bowling. They had two children (twin girls), Olene Bowling Childs (married to Harold) and Arlene Bowling Stobaugh.
(2) Charity Elizabeth "Lizzie" Halbrook: (b.10/1879)
(3) George W. Halbrook: (b. abt 1882)
(4) Joseph T. "Joe" Halbrook: (b.3/1884) - Joe married twice, Lula V. (maiden name unknown) and Margaret Louise Mahan.
(5) Newton Halbrook: (b.1886)
(6) Mary Nora Halbrook: (b.6/1888)
Mertie's Grandparents: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Prince Gordon Bradley and Alexander Gordon. After the death of Alexander Gordon, she married Isaac Bradley Apr 29, 1866 Conway Co AR.
James Monroe Bryant (1856 - 1925)
Roxie Ann Gordon Bryant (1863 - 1944)
Joseph E. Bowman (1892 - 1983)*
Bernice Bowman Bell (1913 - 2010)*
James Melankton Bowman (1916 - 2014)*
Sarah Ann Halbrook Bowling (1878 - 1962)**
Charity Elizabeth Halbrook Smith (1879 - 1959)**
George Washington Halbrook (1881 - 1928)**
Joseph Thomas Halbrook (1884 - 1925)**
Mary Nutie Halbrook Bryant (1887 - 1929)**
Myrtle Jane Bryant Bowman (1891 - 1974)
Nancy Zellar Bryant Richardson (1893 - 1982)*
John Thomas Bryant (1896 - 1983)*
Lou Ella Bryant Harrington (1898 - 1985)*
Cerrena Lina Bryant Childress (1902 - 1984)*
Note: On her tombstone it says her name was Mertie E. and this was an error, her middle name was Jane.
Union Hill Cemetery
Van Buren County
Maintained by: mrscooper
Originally Created by: Sharon Smith
Record added: Jan 23, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 33163259
Mirtie is my half 1C2R.|
Added: Jul. 12, 2011
My great grandmother whom I remember as being a very quite, petite and hard working. Made a wonderful applesauce cake with fudge icing. We Miss You!|
Linda Gaye Bell Cooper
Added: Jun. 17, 2009
Amazing Grace How Sweet The Sound...Grandma , I can hear you now singing this in the Angel Choir...You will always have a place in my heart...|
Janet Bell Heuring
Added: May. 7, 2009
|There is 1 more note not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...