New York, USA
|Death: ||Dec. 17, 1891|
First of all, I would like to offer a big "thank you" to Chris Painter who was gracious and supplied a record of the Coonts family burials in Mound Cemetery.
The mystery of Maria Coonts' maiden name, after reviewing the cemetery records, marriage records, and Census records, has FINALLY BEEN SOLVED, once again, thanks to Chris Painter's assistance.
Maria Cherry married Chauncey Reed on November 8, 1834 in Washington County, Ohio. Chauncey Reed, per the Marietta Gazette, died the following year.
On April 1, 1840, a Mariah Rood (also found as "Rude", oddly, in the marriage document) married a Mr. "Henry Koontz". Henry is NOT found in the 1850's Census records.
In the 1850's US Census, Maria Koonts is found living in Ward 2 of Marietta Township, Washington County, Ohio, with several children with that same surname. The oldest child, however, that is living with Maria is a girl named "Loisa M. Reed". Loisa, most likely was the child of Maria Cherry and Chauncey Reed.
On November 16, 1850, Philip Coontz and Marie Counts (mistranscribed), both of Marietta Township, took an oath (presumably for the intent of marriage to one another) stating that they were no closer than first cousins. It is NOT clear as to just when Philip and Maria were married, but by the 1860's Census they are shown living together in Marietta, Ohio.
Philip Coonts is NOT listed on the 1870's Census records with Maria and some of her children. According to the Mound Cemetery records, Philip died on April 28, 1867. Maria is listed as "Maria Kuntz" and she is living next to a woman born in New York named "Emeline Cherry" and her son, George Cherry (who is reported to have been "idiotic").
This same woman and her Son appear to be living next to Maria Coonts and her family, also, in the 1860's Census. In 1860 the two families are living in Marietta, but not next to one another. The reason that I mention this is that the death certificate of Maria's Daughter, Katherine O'Dell Coonts Dye, lists Maria's maiden name as "Maria Cherry". Lester Norine, Maria's Granddaughter, provided the information on Katherine's death certificate.
As stated before, more than likely Loisa is Maria Cherry's Daughter by Chauncey Reed. In addition, Maria had two different sets of children by Henry and Philip. Many of those children died before they were five years of age.
Maria and Henry had the following children:
1. CHARLES COONTS was born in Oct 1839 in Ohio.
2. JOHN COONTS was born in 1842 in Ohio. He died between 1870-1872 ((Per Wiggins & Weaver's Ohio River Directory, 1871-1872)). He married LUCRETIA WOOD. She was born in 1841 in Ohio. She died in Apr 1879.
3. LYDIA COONTS was born in 1843 in Ohio. She married JAMES N. WILSON on 08 May 1869 in Washington County, Ohio.
4. GEORGE COONTS was born in 1846 in Ohio.
5. HETTIE COONTS was born in 1848 in Ohio. She married C. F. VOORHIES on 11 Aug 1864 in Washington County, Ohio.
Maria and Philip had the following children:
1. WILLIAM H COONTS was born in 1852 in Ohio. He married MARTHA GREEN on 10 Jan 1874 in Washington County, Ohio. She was born in 1856 in Ohio.
2. NELLIE COONTS was born in 1854 in Ohio. She married JOHN W. MILES on 26 Mar 1874 in Washington County, Ohio, son of John Miles and Hannah Fullerton. He was born in 1843 in Pennsylvania.
3. GEORGE COONTS was born in Jul 1855. He died in August of 1858.
4. UNNAMED COONTS was born in Jun 1858. He died in October of 1859.
5. ANNE COONTS was born in March of 1861. She died on February 9, 1862.
6. KATHERINE O'DELL COONTS was born on October 14, 1861 in Ohio. She died on December 19, 1944 in Lakewood Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. She married DUDLEY W. DYE on 05 Nov 1879 in Franklin County, Ohio, son of Amos Dye and Marie Taylor. He was born on 24 Nov 1845 in Marietta Township, Washington County, Ohio. He died on 25 Nov 1914 in Cincinnati Township, Hamilton County, Ohio.
Henry Coonts (1808 - 1847)
Philip Coonts (1819 - 1867)
Charles Coonts (1839 - ____)*
George Coonts (1855 - 1858)*
Child Coonts (1858 - 1859)*
Katherine O'Dell Coonts Dye (1861 - 1944)*
Anne Coonts (1861 - 1862)*
Created by: A. L. Topping
Record added: Oct 31, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 119607273