Prince William County
John Colbert was born between 1784 & 1791 (source: federal census records 1830-1880) in Prince William County, Virginia. He married Catherine Lynn (born about 1798 in VA.), daughter of Ezekiel Lynn and Lavinia "Levy" Davis.
John Colbert was actually John Calvert. This is proven via a deed, dated 8 Feb 1833, Prince William County Deed Book 13, pg. 129 for the sale of land to Moses Lynn, where John & Catherine both signed their names "Calvert" & through DNA evidence supplied by a descendant of John Colbert, which shows that he is descended from George Calvert, 1668-1700.
Although it has not been proven, it is believed that this John (Calvert) Colbert is the son of Obediah Calvert Sr., 1722-1805, (Obediah names son, John, as an heir in his will) & his second wife, unknown.
John & Catherine Colbert had eight known children.
Five born in Prince William County, VA.
1. Henry Colbert (b. 1816-1818, married Sarah Jane Hartley)
2. Jane Colbert (b. abt 1820, married Valentine Wise)
3. Isaac Colbert (b. 13 Aug 1822, married Sarah Ann Lancaster)
4. Mary Colbert (b. ?; married William Mountjoy)
5. John F. Colbert (b. 20 Jul 1832; married Juliet Iliff)
Around 1834, John & Catherine moved their family to Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where they had three more children.
6. George E. Colbert (b. 1836; married Sarah or Susannah)
7. James Colbert (b. abt 1837)
8. Phoebe F. Colbert (b. 1843; married William H. Michael)
Federal census records for 1860 & 1870 show John's occupation as "shoemaker" & Catherine's as "seamstress" (1860 only). They both died in Fayette County, PA & are buried at the Bridgeport Cemetery in Brownsville.
Catherine Lynn Colbert (1798 - 1889)*
Isaac Colbert (1822 - 1908)*
John Franklin Colbert (1832 - 1926)*
Created by: Denise T
Record added: Oct 05, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 59628638