|Birth: ||Jul. 25, 1616|
|Death: ||Feb. 21, 1704|
John Case was born in Aylesham, England abt 1616. He married Sarah Spencer, daughter of William Spencer and Agnes Harris, before 17 Aug 1656 in Windsor, Hartford, CT. He is reported to be buried beside her in an unmarked grave. After Sarah's death, John then married a second wife, named Elizabeth Moore Loomis, the widow of Nathaniel Loomis, with whom he had no issue. (So one has to wonder if he was really buried beside Elizabeth, and not Sarah.)
Sarah's alleged tombstone also has a last name of Cass, instead of Case, but the historians in the area seem to feel that this is the correct Sarah (Spencer) Case, first wife of John Case.
They are reported to have had a son, John Case, born 5 Jan 1662 in Windsor, Hartford, Ct., who married 12 Sept 1684 in Simsbury, Hartford, CT., to Mary Olcutt, and 2) to Sarah Holcomb in 1693. Other children of John Case and Sarah Spencer were:
Elizabeth Case b. 1658 Windsor
Mary Case b. 22 Jun 1660 Windsor
William Case b. 5 Jun 1665 Windsor
Samuel Case b. 1 Jun 1667 Windsor
Richard Case b. 27 Apr 1669 Simsbury
Bartholomew Case b. 1 Oct 1670 Simsbury
Joseph Case b. 6 Apr 1674 Simbbury
Sarah Case 20 Apr 1676 Simsbury
Abigail Case 4 May 1682 Simsbury
Note from a relative:
John Case and wife Sarah Spencer are my ancestors.
They did not marry on the date mention by some. That is the date John Case sent a letter from Maspeth Kill (i.e., Maspeth Creek) on Long Island (later called
Newtown, now part of the City of Brooklyn, NY) to "my honored father William
Edwards" at Hartford. Hence, they were married before that date. Their first
child, dau. Elizabeth, was probably born there.
Sarah Spencer and John Case had ten children; children ii thru v. b. of record at Windsor and children vi. thru x. b. of record at Simsbury:
• i. Elizabeth Case, bapt. Nov. 26, 1656 at the Reformed Dutch Chh. at New Amsterdam (now NY City, NY), d. Oct. 9, 1718 at Simsbury, Conn., Æ 62; m. 1) Joseph Lewis Apr. 30, 1674, by whom she had three children, and 2) John Tuller before 1685, by whome she had five children.
• ii. Mary Case, b. June 22, 1660, d. Aug. 22, 1725 at Windsor, Conn., Æ 66; m. 1) June 22, 1679 at Simsbury, William Alderman, by whom she had five children, and 2) Mar. 30, 1699 at Simsbury, Sgt. James Hillier, by whom she had no known child.
• iii. John Case, Jr., b. Nov. 5, 1662, d. May 22, 1733 at Simsbury, Æ 71; m. 1) Mary Olcott Sept. 12, 1684, by whom he had one child who d. young, and 2) Sarah Holcomb before 1694, by whom he had six known children.
• iv. William Case, b. June 5, 1665, d. Mar. 31, 1700 at Simsbury, Æ 35; m. Elizabeth Holcomb before 1689, by whome he had seven children. The widow m. 2) John Slater at Simsbury Mar. 10, 1703/4.
• v. Samuel Case, b. June 1, 1667, d. July 30, 1725 at Simsbury, Æ 59; m. 1) Mary Westover, by whom he had twelve children. Mary d. at Simsbury Sept. 27, 1713, and Samuel m. 2) Nov. 8, 1721 the widow Elizabeth (Owens) Thrall, by whom he had one additional child.
• vi. Richard Case, b. Apr. 27, 1669, d. Apr. 27, 1746 at Simsbury, Æ 80; m. Sept. 1, 1701 Amy Reed (q.v. Reade) of Concord, Mass., by whom he had seven children.
• vii. Bartholomew Case, b. Oct 1, 1670, d. Oct. 25, 1725 at Simsbury, Æ 56; m. Dec. 7, 1699 at Simsbury, Mary Humphrey, by whom he had seven children.
• viii. Joseph Case, b. Apr. 6, 1674, d. Aug. 11, 1748 at Simsbury, Æ 75; m. Apr. 6, 1699 at Simsbury, Anna Eno, dau. of James Eno, Jr. and Abigail Bissell. She was b. Apr. 10, 1682 at Simsbury and d. there June 10, 1760, Æ 79. Eight children of the family.
• ix. Sarah Case, b. Apr. 20, 1676, d. May 2, 1704 at Simsbury, Æ 29; m. Nov. 9, 1699 at Simsbury as the second of his three wives, Joseph Phelps. Two children of the marriage.
• x. Abigail Case, b. May 4, 1682; m. Sept. 1, 1701, Jonah Westover, Jr., by whom she had four children.
Following Sarah's death, John Case m. Elizabeth Moore, the wid. of Nathaniel Loomis who had d. at Windsor, Conn. Aug. 19, 1688. Elizabeth was the dau. of Dea. John Moore and purportedly his wife Abigail Pinney of Windsor, b. at Windsor July 23, 1638. She had 14 children by first husband Nathaniel, survived her second husband and d. at Windsor July 23, 1728, Æ 91, the day of her 90th birthday. There were no children by this second marriage.
Sarah Spencer Case (1636 - 1691)
Hop Meadow Cemetery
Created by: Zoe Tom
Record added: Jan 27, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 33309769