|Birth: ||Sep. 4, 1926|
|Death: ||Jan. 24, 1966|
Explosion Burns Fatal To Merle Anderson
Merle Anderson, a fireman in South Power House, died January 24 at Midland Hospital, 16 day after he has been critcally burned in the explosion of No. 18 boiler.
Mr. Anderson was about 20 feet from the boiler, at the control console, when steam and hot water releasted in the explosion burned most of his body.
The explosion followed the rupture of about 20 floor tubes in the boiler. Water from the tubes had vaporized into steam and extinguished the fire. As coal and air continued to enter the firing chamber, and explosive reignition occurred. The entire sequence of events took place in a matter of seconds.
Another fireman, Roy Estep, received minor burns and returned to work the next day.
"Merle Anderson's injuries and death are a tragedy for his family, his fellow employees and the company," said Harold Bosscher, general manager of the Midland Division. "His record as an empolyee was of the finest, and he was held in the highest regard by those with home he worked."
Mr. Anderson, 39 years old, had been a Dow employee since September 29, 1950. He had previouly worked six months for the company in 1948 and 1949.
He was born September 4, 1924 in Bay City and was a lifelong resident of that community. He was a Navy veteran of World War II.
Thelma Bernice Brown Anderson (1925 - 2001)
Nancy Elaine Anderson Anderson (1952 - 1972)*
Saint Patrick Cemetery
Created by: Barb Morisette
Record added: Oct 25, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 79288045