North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Dec. 25, 1861|
North Carolina, USA
William Sparkman Baker was born 1810 in Edgecombe County, NC, the eldest of 4 known surviving children (2 boys/2 girls) born to wealthy planter Moses Baker (ca. 1774-1854) and his wife, Eleanor "Elony" Garrett.
He was the the paternal grandson of Jesse Baker (ca. 1753-1788) and Martha Dunn of Edgecombe; and gr-grandson of Moses Baker, III (1708-1781) who came to Chowan/Bertie Pct, Edgecombe County ca. 1730 and married Sarah Chappell. He is a direct descendant of this family's patriarch, Henry Baker (son of Capt. Lawrence Baker) of England who settled in Isle of Wight and died in 1697. On his mother's side, he was the maternal grandson of Edgecombe County David Garrett (ca.1758-1803) and Mary Ward, widow of Capt. William Sparkman.
William attended UNC and medical school and upon his father's death in 1854, inherited greatly as the only surviving son (his brother, David Baker, died in 1844); and took over his father's estates, continuing as one of the wealthiest cotton planters in Edgecombe County.
On January 31, 1831, the 21-year old physician married 20-year old Julia R. Shurley, daughter of wealthy planter Henry Shurley of Edgecombe. The couple would become parents of 3 known children:
* Dr. Joseph Henry Baker (1831-1902)
* Laura Baker (1836-1914)
* Margaret Ann Baker (1838-1929)
The marriage lasted 14 years until Julia's death in 1845 at age 33.
In about 1848, the 38-year old widow married (2nd) to 19-year old Sarah "Sally" Rebecca Powell, daughter of wealthy planter Jesse Harrison Powell. They would have 5 known children:
* Mary Hester Baker (ca. 1849)
* Catherine "Kate" Elony Baker (ca. 1850-1924)
* William S. Baker (ca. 1853)
* Jesse Powell Baker (ca. 1857 - bef 1900)
* Lena W. Baker (ca. 1859)
This second marriage lasted about 13 years until Dr. Baker's death in 1861 at age 51. His wife, Sally Powell Baker, did not survive him long, passing in 1864 at about age 35.
His minor children from the 2nd marriage -- daughters, Mary, Kate, Jesse, and Lena -- were taken in by Sally's sister, Mary Harrison Powell, who had married wealthy Tarboro merchant William Mayo Pippen and raised at the ornate Victorian "Pippen House" on Main Street.
As for his children from the 1st marriage:
(1) son Joseph Henry Baker followed in his father's footsteps and became a physician, marrying Susan D. Foxhall in 1855; and becoming father to 5 known children, including Dr. Julian Meredith Baker, the 3rd generation of doctors in this family.
(2) Laura Baker married Col. Henry Austin Dowd in 1859 and was mother to 4 known children before her death in 1914.
(3) Margaret Ann Baker married Hugh MacNair in 1859, son of Edmund Duncan MacNair & Elizabeth Baker Harvey. She was mother to 4 known children before his death in 1871. She later removed to Norfolk, VA, passing in 1929 at about age 91. Her grave has not been located by this researcher.
As for the children from his 2nd marriage:
(1) Mary Marietta "Hester" Baker married CSA veteran William Howard, son of George Howard & Alice Clark Thurston of Tarboro. They resided in Tarboro and were parents to 7 known children. Hester was widowed in 1903 and died sometime after 1930. Her grave has not been located by this researcher.
(2) Catherine "Kate" Elony Baker married Dr. Lycugus Lafayette Staton of Tarboro and was mother to 3 known children before her death in 1924.
(3) William S. Baker is believed to have died young sometime after 1860.
(4) Jesse Powell Baker married in about 1878 to Francis "Frank" Nash of Hillsboro, Orange Co, son of Rev. Frederick Kollack Nash, II, of the prominent Nash family there. They resided in Tarboro where her husband was an attorney, and mayor. They had 2 known daughters. She died sometime before 1900, and her husband and children removed to Hillsboro and he much later married a cousin, Ann "Nan" Spotswood Strudwick. Her grave has not been located by this researcher. Frank Nash and his 2nd wife are buried in Old Town Cemetery in Hillsboro.
(5) Lena W. Baker married dentist, Elias D. Barnes of Tarboro in about 1878. They had one known child and she was last found in Tarboro in 1900. Her grave has not been located by this researcher.
Julia Shurley Baker (1811 - 1845)
Sarah Rebecca Powell Baker (1829 - 1864)
William Baker (____ - 1849)*
Joseph Henry Baker (1831 - 1902)*
Laura Baker Dowd (1836 - 1914)*
Margaret Ann Baker MacNair (1838 - 1929)*
Julius Shurley Baker (1845 - 1845)*
Catherine Elony Baker Staton (1850 - 1924)*
Fannie Wimberly Baker (1860 - 1862)*
Calvary Church Cemetery
North Carolina, USA
Created by: pbfries
Record added: May 01, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 69182972