North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Jun. 12, 1857|
Son of Owen Carpenter &
Sarah Rachel [Smith] Carpenter
Married Esther Kennedy
Bio added 11/27/2010
From Carpenter family group sheet
Son of Owen Carpenter
Owen Carpenter was born 1765 in North Carolina, and died Abt. 1828 in Lawrence Co., MS.
Mother Sarah Rachel Smith married about Abt. 1785 in Moore Co., NC.
Children of Owen Carpenter and Sarah Smith are:
1. William Carpenter, born Abt. 1787.
2. John Carpenter, born Abt. 1789.
3. Nancy Carpenter, born Abt. 1790.
4. Catharine Carpenter, born Abt. 1793.
5. Owen Carpenter, born Abt. 1795.
6. Dennis Carpenter, born Abt. 1798. He married Elizabeth Wallace February 06, 1821 in Lawrence Co., MS.
7. Nathan Carpenter, born Abt. 1797.
8. Henry Carpenter, born Abt. 1806.
9. Mary Carpenter, born Abt. 1809. She married Everett Smith July 26, 1821 in Lawrence Co., MS.
10. Malinda Carpenter, born Abt. 1813.
11. Green Carpenter, born Abt. 1815.
Grandson of Thomas Owen Carpenter born 1740 in North Carolina, and died 1780 in Moore County, North Carolina. and Catherine Shamberger. She was born 1743 in North Carolina.
Thomas Owen Carpenter:
While home on leave from fighting in the Revolutionary War, British Soldiers came to his home on Bear Creek, N.C., and when he came to the door, with his newly born son in his arms, the soldiers fired on him and killed he and his infant son.
Both buried in same grave in Shamburger Cemetery, Moore Co., North Carolina.
Revolutionary Soldier, buried with honors
Children of Thomas Carpenter and Catherine Shamberger are:
1. Jonathan Carpenter, born Abt. 1760; died Abt. 1832.
2. Solomon Carpenter, born Abt. 1760.
3. Dennis Carpenter, born Abt. 1765 in North Carolina; died Abt. 1837 in Montgomery, Alabama.
He married Margaret Hahm.
4. Owen Carpenter, born 1765 in North Carolina; died Abt. 1828 in Lawrence Co., MS.
5. Temple Carpenter, born 1769 in Moore County, North Carolina; died September 12, 1839 in Copiah Co., Mississippi.
6. Adam Carpenter, born July 02, 1771.
7. Infant Carpenter, born Abt. 1780.
Added Nov 12, 2012
Here is info on John Carpenter is is related directly to him and no others. It might be useful to someone.
Appears on 1813 tax list for Marion-Lawrence Counties, MS. Tax list shows 1 poll, tax is $.66 2/3.
Owned 160 acres on Bogue Chitto River in Lawrence Co, MS according to 1814, 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818, 1819, 1820, 1821, 1822 and 1824 tax rolls.
Appeared on 1833 Holmes County tax list.
Lived in Carroll County, MS at the time of the 1840 and 1850 census.
Will dated 01-26-1857 and probated 07-06-1857 Carroll County Records, Book A, page 147.
Copiah County Ms was formed 21 Jan 1823 from Hinds County, being a part of the Choctaw Cession of 1820. First Tax list 1823:
Poll-1 Slaves-0 Tax $0.75.
1833 Tax List Holmes Co. Ms # 545 E12 NW sect 36 16 N, 2E
1833 Holmes Co General Land Off. E821-E/2 SE section 19, 17N3E
ORIGINAL LAND PLAT BOOK Carroll County, Mississippi
John Carpenter Township 19 Range 4E 40.78 acres 1836
CENSUS: 1840 Carroll Co Ms
CENSUS: 1850 Carroll Co Ms P 481 d637 f743
John Carpenter 60 m w NC
Easter 58 f w NC
Delaney 31 f w Miss
John 29 m w Miss
Owen 21 m w Miss
Elizabeth 19 f w Miss
William 17 m w Miss
CENSUS: 1870 Carroll Co Ms Div 28 Twp 18 R4E P18 D112 F112
Owen Carpenter (1765 - 1828)
Sarah Rachael Smith Carpenter
Esther Kennedy Carpenter (1792 - 1873)
Owen Carpenter (1828 - 1864)*
Black Hawk Cemetery
Maintained by: John Andrew Meyer
Originally Created by: LoRetta Hughes
Record added: Feb 17, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 33950089