|Birth: ||Oct. 24, 1843|
|Death: ||Dec. 23, 1936|
Cornelia D. "Nellie" Bailey, eldest dau. of Asa Fitch Bailey and Jeanette Dickinson Ford, b. Oct. 24, 1843 at Kenosha County, Wisconsin. She d. Dec. 23, 1936 at or near Beatrice, Nebraska.
On Jan. 23, 1867 at Gage County, Nebraska, Cornelia m. William Blakely, s. of Daniel, b. July 3, 1821 at Roxbury, Litchfield County, Conn. He d. Jan. 2, 1898 at or near Beatrice, Nebraska. They had three children who are outlined in their father's memorial.
Beatrice Daily Sun - Tuesday, 12/29/1936
Early Settler Of Gage Dies After Brief Illness. Funeral Thursday Afternoon.
• Mrs. Cornelia B. Blakely, 93, one of the early settlers of Gage county passed away last night at the home of Miss Anna Shelley, 408 North Tenth street, a relative [*1], with whom she had been living for a short time.
• Mrs. Blakely was born in Wisconsin on October 24, 1843 and was the second homesteader in Gage county locating on the old Blakely farm about seven miles west of the city with her husband, the late William Blakely, ten days after Daniel Freeman, first homesteader in the United States, filed on his claim west of Beatrice in the early sixties.
• Mr. Blakely passed away years ago, but Mrs. Blakely continued her residence on the farm years later with her son, Albert, and family. She moved to town some
time ago, dividing her time in town with Miss Shelley and her son, Albert, on the farm.
• Besides her son, Mrs. Blakely leaves eight grandchildren, three sisters, Mrs. Anna Pheasant, Seattle Wash.; Mrs. J.R. Johnston, Eugene, Ore.; Mrs. Hattie Sage, Beatrice, and a brother, Clyde E. Bailey, Enteat, Ore.
• Funeral services will be at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon from Centenary M. E. church with the Rev. F. F. Travis officiating. Interment in Evergreen Home cemetery.
• The body is at the Harman-Johnson mortuary.
[*1] her unmarried niece, dau. of Cornelia's sister Mary Emily (Bailey) Shelley, latter who d. at Beatrice in 1933.
Newspaper notice courtesy of Robin Farley Dixson
Asa Fitch Bailey (1811 - 1906)
Jennette Dickinson Ford Bailey (1823 - 1894)
William Blakely (1821 - 1898)*
Albert Curtis Blakely (1872 - 1950)*
Cornelia D. Bailey Blakely (1843 - 1936)
Charlie Bassett Bailey (1846 - 1901)*
Harriet E Bailey Sage (1847 - 1939)*
Mary Emily Bailey Shelley (1851 - 1933)*
Anna M Bailey Pheasant (1854 - 1943)*
Clyde Allison Bailey (1865 - 1937)*
Oct. 24, 1843
Dec. 23, 1936
The Lord is my
Evergreen Home Cemetery
Plot: Block 20, Lot 36
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Jun 18, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 92150004