|Birth: ||Jul. 15, 1803|
County Wexford, Ireland
|Death: ||Jan. 5, 1862|
William HAYES was the son of James HAYES and Alice (Shaw) HAYES, both of County Wexford, Ireland, according to family tree #1253 of Genealogy.com's World Family Tree Project. I have not been able to independently verify this.
William Hayes immigrated from Ireland to the United States sometime before 23 June 1834, when he married Ann BECKES at St. Francis Xavier Church in Vincennes, Knox, Indiana.
William HAYES was a merchant in both the 1850 and 1860 censuses for Vincennes, Knox, Indiana.
He and his wife Ann (Beckes) HAYES had six children, all of whom were born in Vincennes:
1) Alice M. HAYES b. 1 Oct 1835, m. Matthew L. Brett, d. 22 Nov 1922
2) John Beckes HAYES b. 14 Jan 1838, m. 1866 Sarah A. Campbell, d. 16 May 1908
3) Thomas HAYES b. 19 Aug 1839, m. 1866 Eugenie Laux, d. 26 Jul 1905
4) Mary HAYES b. abt 1842, m. 1870 Patrick W. Haggarty, d. 1878
5) William M. HAYES b. 10 Apr 1849, m. 1874 Winifred F. Lee, d. 17 May 1923
6) Unknown Infant HAYES b. May 1853, d. Aug 1854
Ann Beckes Hayes (1816 - 1886)
John Beckes Hayes (1838 - 1908)*
William M. Hayes (1849 - 1923)*
Anna Hayes (1853 - 1854)*
William Hayes' tombstone says he died on 1-5-1862 age 58 years, 5 months and 20 days. I have calculated this to approximate his birthdate at about July 15, 1803.
Note: Conversation with, and tombstone notes from, Mr. Milton Lane, Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Vincennes, Indiana on January 23, 2002.
Mount Calvary Cemetery
Created by: Robin Agarwal
Record added: Aug 18, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 75124952