|Death: ||Jan. 18, 1945, At Sea|
Captain Robert Thomas Hall, Army serial number O-811073, was born in Indiana in 1921. His parents were Thomas Edgar 'Ed' Hall (14 Dec 1876 – 17 Oct 1956), who was born on a farm in Ripley Township, Montgomery County, Indiana; and Mary Josephine (McMains) Hall (14 Dec 1881 – 15 Sep 1963), who was born at Rossville, Ross Township, Vermillion County, Illinois. His father was a farmer, and also worked as an inspector at a motor factory; his mother served as a nurse in World War I. His parents married at Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana on December 14, 1919. Robert Hall had a younger brother, Charles Franklin Hall (11 Feb 1924 – 13 Jul 2010). In 1930 the family lived on a farm in Sugar Creek Township, Parke County, Indiana. By 1940 the family lived on a farm in Ripley Townhship, Montgomery County, Indiana, just south of Waynetown.
His hometown was Waynetown, Montgomery County, Indiana. He completed four years of high school and worked as a farm hand. He was single, without dependents, when he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, on August 26, 1940. He completed Army Air Forces pilot training in Class 43-H, and received his wings and officer's commission on August 30, 1943. He was then assigned as a heavy bomber pilot in the 838th Bomb Squadron of the 487th Bomb Group. The crew of then Second Lieutenant Hall completed B-24 combat crew training with the 487th Bomb Group at Alamogordo Army Air Base, New Mexico, and deployed with the Group to England in March 1944. The Hall crew flew B-24H 42-52771 overseas via the southern Atlantic ferry route—a journey of about 10,000 miles—and arrived in England by mid-April 1944. The 487th Bomb Group was based at Army Air Forces Station 137, near the village of Lavenham, Suffolk, England, and was part of the 8th U.S. Army Air Force in Europe.
He became a lead pilot, and completed a 30-mission combat tour with the 487th Bomb Group, flying both the B-24 and the B-17 heavy bombers. Then he volunteered for a second tour flying fighter aircraft on weather reconnaissance missions. He was still assigned to the 487th Bomb Group, but was put on detached service with the 3rd Scouting Force, which was located with the 55th Fighter Group at Army Air Forces Station 159 near Wormingford, England. There he flew P-51 weather reconnaissance missions in support of the bomber force. On January 18, 1945, Captain Hall took off from Wormingford in P-51D 44-14278 on a weather scouting mission, and vanished. He probably went down in the North Sea and remains missing in action.
His name is inscribed on the Wall of the Missing at Cambridge American Cemetery near Madingley, England. He also has a memorial at Waynetown Masonic Cemetery in Waynetown, Montgomery County, Indiana on the grave marker of his parents; and he is honored on a bronze plaque on the War Memorial at Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana.
His father's parents were William T. Hall (9 Sep 1845 – 22 Oct 1887) and Harriet Elizabeth 'Bettie' (Bruner) Hall (1 Oct 1851 – 23 Nov 1928). They married on January 7, 1873. (Note: William Hall's headstone inscription is THOS. W. HALL; but his name is recorded as "Willliam T. Hall" in the 1880 US Census and in Harriet Hall's obituary.)
His mother's parents were Anderson McMains (1840 – 27 Dec 1922) and Clarrissa (Comstock) McMains (1847 – 1915), who were born in Illinois. Anderson McMains served in the Union Army in Company C, 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry during the American Civil War.
1. 487th Bomb Group Association
2. 1880 US Census; Illinois; Vermilion County; Grant Township. McMains, A (Anderson McMains, maternal grandfather of Robert T. Hall)
3. 1880 US Census; Indiana; Montgomery County; Ripley Township. Hall, William T (grandfather of Robert T. Hall)
4. 1930 US Census; Indiana; Parke County; Sugar Creek. Hall, Thomas E. Apr 1930 (father of Robert T. Hall)
5. 1940 US Census; Indiana; Montgomery County; Waynetown Route #2. Hall, Thomas E. 23 Apr 1940 (father of Robert T. Hall)
6. American Battle Monuments Commission
7. Crawfordsville District Public Library: Local History Resources: Waynetown Masonic Cemetery (documents the burial of his parents in Division 9, Lot 35, Beds 5 and 6; and his memorial in Division 9, Lot 35, Bed 7)
8. Crawfordsville (IN) Journal-Review. Obituaries of Harriet E. Hall (23 Nov 1928); Thomas Edgar Hall (17 Oct 1956); and Mary Josephine Hall (16 Sep 1963)
9. de Jong, Ivo. The History of the 487th Bomb Group (H). Paducah KY: Turner Publishing, Oct 2004
10. Enlistment Record of Robert T. Hall
11. HQ, 359th Combat Crew Training School, Alamogordo Army Air Base, New Mexico. Special Orders Number 71. 11 March 1944 (487th Bomb Group flight echelon order to proceed from Alamogordo, New Mexico to Herington, Kansas during the deployment to England)
12. Historical Marker Database. Montgomery County, Indiana, War Memorial
13. Illinois Births and Christenings, 1824-1940: Mary Josephine McMains born at Danville [obit says Rossville], Vermilion County, Illinois on 14 Dec 1882 [obit says 1881]; parents: Anderson McMains and Clarissa Comstock McMains (mother of Robert T. Hall)
14. Mundia.com (ancestry.com). Profiles of Robert Thomas Hall (1920-1945) and Thomas Edgar Hall (1877- )
15. Randall, Peter. Little Friends – 8th U.S. Army Air Force Fighter Groups: Scouting Force
16. U.S. Army Air Forces Missing Air Crew Report 11877
17. U.S. Civil War Soldiers Index: Anderson McMains; aka Anderson McMain; beginning rank: Private; final rank: First Sergeant; military side: Union; State: Indiana; unit: Company C, 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
18. U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA). Service Personnel Not Recovered Following World War II
19. U.S. National World War II Memorial Registry. World War II Honoree Robert T. Hall (honored by Mr. Charles F. Hall – same name as his brother)
20. U.S. Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933: Anderson McMain [sic]; date of death: 27 Dec 1922
21. U.S. War Department. World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel. Washington, D.C., June 1946
22. World War I Draft Registration of Thomas Edgar Hall. 12 Sep 1918 (father of Robert T. Hall)
Secretary, 487th Bomb Group Association
Find A Grave member ID 47577572
Thomas Edgar Hall (1876 - 1956)
Mary Josephine McMains Hall (1881 - 1963)
Robert T Hall (1921 - 1945)*
Robert Thomas Hall (1921 - 1945)
Charles F. Hall (1924 - 2010)*
Wall of the Missing:
HALL ROBERT T • CAPT • 838 BOMB SQ 487 BOMB GP (H) • INDIANA
Note: Entered the service from Indiana.
Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial
South Cambridgeshire District
Plot: Wall of the Missing
Maintained by: Paul Webber
Originally Created by: CWGC/ABMC
Record added: Aug 06, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 56290372