|Death: ||Jul. 12, 1946, Philippines|
Chester "Chet" Lawrence was the son of Auby A. "Bud" Lawrence and Daisy Boley. Chet attended grammar school in Texas and lived in the community until he joined the Marine Corps.
The 1940 US Census shows the family as living in Livingston, Polk County, Texas. Auby was working doing mechanical work. The following family members were living in the home:
Auby Lawrence 38
Daisy Lawrence 32
Chester Lawrence 15
3701 Freund St., Houston, Texas.
T/Sgt Lawrence was assigned to Dauntless dive bomber unit VMSB-243 "The Flying Goldbricks" in the South Pacific during World War II. He was a tail gunner and radio operator. He flew numerous combat missions as denoted by his decorations (see below).
TSgt Lawrence's Dauntless SBD-6 aircraft, piloted by 2nd Lt. Robert E. Carter, failed to return from a mission near Sarangani Bay, Philippine Islands. It is assumed they were shot down by enemy fire. Sergeant Lawrence's remains were never recovered and it is believed he was shot down over the Pacific Ocean. He was declared dead on July 12, 1946.
Technical Sergeant Chester Lawrence, Sn# 329210, earned the following decorations for his service in World War II:
- Distinguished Flying Cross with Gold Star (2nd award)
- Air Medal with one Silver Star and four Gold Stars
- Purple Heart Medal (POSTHUMOUSLY)
- Combat Action Ribbon
- American Defense Service Medal
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with Three Battle/Campaign Stars
- Navy Unit Unit Citation with bronze star
- World War II Victory Medal
- Philippine Liberation Medal with one bronze star
- Philippine Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon
- Marine Corps Rifle Marksman Badge
- Marine Corps Basic Qualifications Medal with Bayonet Bar
Sergeant Lawrence's remains were never recovered and it is believed he was shot down over and crashed into the ocean. He was declared dead on July 12, 1946.
Auby A Lawrence (1902 - 1965)
Daisy M Boley Lawrence (1907 - 1997)
Note: Entered the service from Texas.
Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
National Capital Region, Philippines
Created by: Rick Lawrence
Record added: Jul 08, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 54668113