|Birth: ||Sep. 14, 1636|
|Death: ||Feb. 13, 1690|
Ens. Samuel Wright, s. of Thomas Wright, Esq. & Mary Cranbrook, b. at Brook Hall and bapt. Sept. 14, 1636 at St. Peters Church at South Weald in Essex, England. He d. testate Feb. 13, 1689/90 at Wethersfield, Conn., Æ 54.
On Sept. 29, 1659 of record at Wethersfield, Conn., Samuel m. 1) an unknown Mary, whose maiden name is not stated in the record. She d. of record one week later on Oct. 6, 1659.
Samuel m. 2) by early 1660, Mary Butler, dau. of Dea. Richard Butler, b. circa 1639 at Hartford, Conn. She was living on July 10, 1677 when she gave birth to son Daniel, but when she d. is not of record. That Mary Butler was Samuel's 2nd wife, and not his 1st wife of only one week in duration, would appear evident by the following facts of record:
• Mary Butler's father Richard d. testate at Wethersfield in 1684. His will dated Apr. 4, 1677 includes: "I doe give my three daughters, Mary Wright, Elizabeth Olmsted & Hanah Green,..."
• Mary Butler's natural brother Thomas (Mary's only sibling by their father's 1st wife) d. at Hartford in 1688. The July 5, 1690 distribution of his estate names a younger dau. Hope, who was a legatee in Ens. Samuel Wright's will: "I give to my Kinswoman Hope Butler, that sometime dwelt with me, a Heifer 2 years old."
• Further, in addition to his brother Joseph Wright, Ens. Samuel Wright named "my brother-in-law" Samuel Butler as joint overseer of his will. Samuel Butler was Dea. and Ens. Samuel Butler of Wethersfield, Mary Butler's oldest half sibling by their father's 2nd wife. Samuel Butler d. testate at Wethersfield in Dec. 1692.
Ens. Samuel Wright and Mary Butler had the following children of record at Wethersfield:
• i. Sgt. Samuel Wright, Jr., b. Jan. 6, 1660/1, d. testate Oct. 12, 1734 at Wethersfield, Æ 75; m. 1) May 12, 1686 at Wethersfield, Rebecca Craft(s), dau. of Moses Craft(s) and Rebecca Gardner, b. Mar. 2, 1670/1 (bapt. Mar. 5) at Roxbury, Mass. She d. Mar. 14, 1710/11 at Wethersfield, Æ 41. Thirteen children of the family. Samuel m. 2) Aug. 1, 1723 at Kensington Parish (Berlin), Conn., his twice widowed half 1st cousin Abigail Butler, dau. of Nathaniel Butler (Samuel's mother's half brother) and Sarah Green, b. circa 1674 at Hartford, Conn. She d. Jan. 1, 1739/40 at Wethersfield. There were no children of the second marriage. Abigail Butler m. 1) John Crane in 1692 and 2) Samuel Walker in 1697 and had six children by her prior two husbands.
• ii. Mary Wright, b. circa 1662 and living at the time of her father's Jan. 1689/90 will. Stile's (Ancient Wethersfield) erroneously claims the two husbands (Daniel Boardman and James Treat) of sister Hannah were Mary's husbands. In context in the order in which Mary is named in her father's will: "I give to my son Samuel a small parcel of Money made up in a Bag marked S. W.; to my daughter Mary another parcel of Money marked M. F.; to my daughter Hannah another parcel of Money marked H. B. [i.e., Hannah Boardman]." At his death, the Feb. 27, 1689/90 inventory of Mary's father includes "The children: 3 of them married; David Wright, almost 13 years of age." Mary was married by January 1689/90, but what was her married surname beginning with the letter "F," if in fact Manwaring transcribed it correctly?
• iii. Hannah Wright, b. circa 1663-1664, d. Feb. 25, 1746/7 at Wethersfield, Æ 83 (g.s.); m. 1) June 8, 1683 at Wethersfield, Daniel Boardman, s. of Samuel Boardman and Mary Betts, b. Aug. 4, 1658 at Wethersfield. He d. testate at Wethersfield Feb. 20, 1724/5, Æ 67. Twelve children of the family, ten who lived to maturity. Hannah m. 2) after May 1727 as his 2nd wife, James Treat, Jr., s. of Lieut. James Treat & Rebecca Latimer, b. Apr. 1, 1666 at Wethersfield. He d. testate Feb. 18, 1742/3, Æ 76 (g.s.). There were no children by this second marriage. By his 1st wife Prudence Chester, James Treat had seven children.
• iv. Mabel Wright, b. circa 1666, d. young as she is not included in her father's Jan. 1689/90 will; her older brother Samuel named his first child Mabel, b. at Wethersfield Jan. 16, 1686/7.
• v. Sarah Wright, b. circa 1670, d. young as she is not included in her father's Jan. 1689/90 will; her older brother Samuel named his second child Sarah, b. at Wethersfield Mar. 5, 1687/8.
• vi. Sgt. David Wright, b. July 12, 1677, d. Sept. 6, 1752 at Wethersfield, Æ 76; m. 1) Dec. 28, 1699, Rebecca Goodrich, dau. of John Goodrich & Rebecca Allen, b. Nov. 11, 1680 at Wethersfield. She d. Apr. 10, 1703, Æ 23. David m. 2) June 8, 1710 at Wethersfield, Mary Belden, dau. of Dea. Joseph Belden & Mary Wright, b. Sept. 11, 1687 at Wethersfield. She d. Jan. 9, 1769, Æ 82 (g.s.). Two children by wife Rebecca and seven by wife Mary.
On Feb. 13, 1681[-2] in a confusing record at Wethersfield, Ens. Samuel Wright m. 3) an unidentified Mary, who d. of record at Wethersfield Sept. 12, 1689. They had the following child b. per the record three days before the parents married:
• vii. Eunice Wright, b. Feb. 10, 1681[-2], d. young as she is not included in her father's Jan. 1689/90 will.
Thomas Wright (1610 - 1670)
Mary Cranbroke Wright (1609 - 1640)
Mary Butler Wright (1639 - 1689)*
Samuel Wright (1661 - 1734)*
Hannah Wright Treat (1663 - 1746)*
David Wright (1677 - 1752)*
Thomas Wright (1630 - 1683)*
James Wright (1632 - 1728)*
Lydia Wright Harris (1634 - 1690)*
Samuel Wright (1636 - 1690)
Joseph Wright (1640 - 1714)*
In 1899 when Talcott meticulously transcribed all of the known gravestones of any sort at Wethersfield Village Cemetery, only three existed for a person who died before 1700, and Samuel was not one of them. This cemetery was the only cemetery at Wethersfield until the 1850s and it is assumed Samuel is interred here.
Wethersfield Village Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Feb 17, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 48265577