|Birth: ||Feb. 2, 1808|
South Lanarkshire, Scotland
|Death: ||Mar. 17, 1897|
MARGARET POLLOCK NICOL (89) was the daughter of John Pollock b. 1775 Lanarkshire, Scotland and Elizabeth Brown b. 1780 in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Margaret was born in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire, Scotland . In 1820 Margaret emigrated from Scotland through Canada to the United States and settled with her parents in Hammond, St. Lawrence County, NY. She was twelve years old at the time.
Margaret (17) married William May Nicol, III (22) on Ap. 29, 1825 in Hammond, St. Lawrence County, NY. William III was the son of Agness Bronlee and William May Nicol II. Twelve year old Margaret met her future husband who was seventeen at the time when William saved her from drowning after she fell overboard on the ferry traveling between Canada and New York. They lived in Hammond, NY where their 12 children were born. Then in 1861 when William was 58 and Margaret was 53 they and some of their children traveled by covered wagon to Northeastern Iowa. William was a farmer. They had 12 children: 6 boys and 6 girls. She lived the remainder of their life in Mitchell county except for 8 years (1869 to 1875) when they homesteaded in Dickenson County, Iowa.
1. Elizabeth Nancy Nicol b. July 24, 1826,Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., NY. d. August 7, 1909, in WV. Spouse: William Revillo Nichols. Nine children.
2. Agnes Bronlee Nicol b. November 2, 1828,Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., NY. d. January 23, 1907. Spouse: William Nichols Lynch. School teacher, Lake Park, IA and author.
3. Margaret Nicol b. August 12, 1830, in Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., NY. d. October, 1830.
4. Robert Bruce Nicol b. August 18, 1831, Hammond, NY. d. January 22, 1916, in Milford, Dickinson County, Iowa. Spouses: Mary Ann Kelly, Martha E. Fletcher. Civil war soldier.
5. William Wallace Nicol b. August 18, 1831, in Hammond, NY. d. April 22, 1904, in Little Cedar, Mitchell County, IA. Spouse: Altamand Polly Nichols.
6. Margaret Ann Nicol b. November 2, 1833, Hammond, NY. d. December 5, 1923, in Clifty, WV, Buried: Kesler Memorial Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Spouses: George Bissel Hitchcock (1931-1855), John Kesler (1813-1906).
7. John Nicol b. October 16, 1836 in Hammond, NY. d. January 26, 1856,Hammond, NY died of consumption.
8. Violet Catherine Nicol (my ancestor) b. June 6, 1838, Hammond, NY. d. January 24, 1914, in Stacyville, Mitchell County, IA. Spouse: James Brainard. Buried: Stacyville Cemetery, IA.
9. James Ross Nicol b. February 1, 1841, in Hammond, New York. d. October, 1863, in Civil War battle skirmish near New Berne, NC. Burial place unknown.
10. David M. Nicol (Farmer in Iowa) b. July 31, 1843,Hammond, NY. d. April, 1922, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA. Spouse: Mary Blackler (div.) Buried in Angelus Rosedale Cemetery in Los Angeles, CA (Civil War soldier)
11. Clark Levi Nicol b. July 8, 1847,Hammond, NY. d. March 3, 1919, in Excelsior, Dickinson County, IA. Spouse: Mary Ellen Anderson.
12. Martha "Mattie" Jeanette Nicol b. May 29, 1851, Hammond, NY. d. Oct., 1934. Buried Silver Lake Cemetery in Lake Park, Dickinson County, IA. Spouse: John Dickenson. First school teacher in Lake Park, IA. Buried: Silver Lake Cemetery, Lake Park, IA.
William May Nicol (1803 - 1885)*
Elizabeth Nancy Nicol Nichols (1826 - 1909)*
Agnes Bronlee Nicol Lynch (1828 - 1907)*
William Wallace Nicol (1831 - 1904)*
Robert Burns Nicol (1831 - 1916)*
Margaret Ann Nicol Kesler (1833 - 1923)*
Violet Catherine Nicol Brainard (1838 - 1914)*
James Ross Nicol (1841 - 1862)*
David May Nicol (1843 - 1922)*
Clark Levi Nicol (1847 - 1919)*
Martha Jeanette Nicol Dickerson (1851 - 1934)*
Created by: Evelyn Rowe Nelson
Record added: Oct 17, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 30642415