|Birth: ||Aug. 14, 1859|
|Death: ||May 31, 1922|
El Paso County
William Hickman Wimberley was the son of Pleasant Wimberley and his wife Amanda Julian Jackson Wimberley. He was born on August 14, 1859, in Burleson County, Texas.
William grew up to marry twice. His first wife was Johnie "Eller" Amanda Leath. They married on August 21, 1879, in Hays County, probably in Wimberley. In the June 1880 Census in Llano County, William and his wife were living next door to his brother Isaac in Llano County, Texas. In June 1980 the newlyweds had no children.
William Hickman Wimberley and his first wife Eller Leath probably had the following children before Eller's death in 1882-1883:
1. Edna A. Wimberley Flanagan, b. August 1880 Llano County, Texas (in 1900 Concho County, Texas, twenty-year-old Edna and her husband twenty-nine-year old Charles D. Flanagan have taken into their household Velma Agnes Wimberley, age 11, who is listed as being Edna's half-sister. Edna died in approximately 1903 in Tom Green County. Her husband's second wife was Mollie L. Riggs.
2. Lucy Tarver Wimberley Cryer, b. 1882 (in 1900 Tom Green County, 17-year-old Lucy and her husband twenty-four-year-old Oliver Cryer (misspelled "Cesar") have taken into their household Herbert Nesmith Wimberley, age 14. Herbert is listed as Lucy's half-brother. Note: Lucy Wimberley is not Lucy Rucker who is also living in Tom Green County in 1900 with her parents J. E. and S. E. Rucker. Some researchers are combining the two women.
3. Maude Wimberley
William Hickman Wimberley next married Mattie Callie Pruitt who was born in 1863 in Texas to Samuel and Martha Pruitt. William and Mattie had at least four known children:
1. Claudie D. Wimberley Chance, b. 1883 (in 1910 Pecos, Eddy County, New Mexico, Claudie and her husband George Change were next-door neighbors of Claudie's father William Hickman Wimberley who was doing odd jobs in Eddy County and otherwise living alone
2. Herbert Nesmith Wimberley, b. 1885
3. Velma Agnes Wimberley Mullane, b. 1888 (in 1920 Velma and her husband James Mullane had opened their home to her father William Hickman Wimberley
4. Walter Leslie Wimberley, Sr., b. 1891 (in 1900 Pecos, Reeves County, Texas, Walter was living with his father William Hickman Wimberley)
After Mattie's death in 1895, William moved a number of times--1900 a single man living as a capitalist in Pecos, Reeves County, Texas; 1905 playing with a 3-member band in Bisbee, Arizona; 1910 a widower working odd jobs and living next to daughter Claudie in Eddy County, New Mexico; 1920 living in the household of daughter Velma in Culberson County, Texas; 1922, dying in El Paso, Texas, occupation was listed as a rancher living at 2715 N. San Murial St., El Paso, for the past two years.
William Hickman Wimberley died at the age of 62 of edema of the lung on May 31, 1922. He died in the County Hospital in El Paso, El Paso County, Texas, and was buried in the Concordia Cemetery there.
Pleasant Wimberley (1823 - 1919)
Amanda Jackson Wimberley (1831 - 1909)
Mattie Pruitt Wimberley (____ - 1895)
Claudie D. Wimberley Chance (1883 - 1967)*
Herbert Nesmith Wimberley (1885 - 1953)*
Velma Agnes Wimberley Mullane (1889 - 1952)*
Walter Leslie Wimberley (1891 - 1966)*
Joseph Wimberley (1850 - 1924)*
Zillah Ann Wimberley Phillips (1851 - 1873)*
Zachariah Taylor Wimberley (1853 - 1913)*
Isaac Jackson Wimberley (1856 - 1954)*
William Hickman Wimberley (1859 - 1922)
Sarah Elizabeth Wimberley (1860 - 1862)*
Pleasant Wimberley (1863 - 1941)*
Andrew Jackson Wimberley (1867 - 1936)*
Eliza Mary Wimberley Hughes (1869 - 1954)*
Melissa Wimberley (1871 - 1876)*
El Paso County
GPS (lat/lon): 31.7781, -106.44638
Maintained by: Robert Pyland
Originally Created by: Lynn
Record added: Jul 28, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 114504593
The residents of Wimberley, Texas, honor the memory of the grandson of their town's founding father--Pleasant Wimberley|
Added: Sep. 28, 2016
Angel of Flowers
Added: Apr. 21, 2015