The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Jonathan Mark McCain

Jonathan Mark McCain

Death 23 Oct 2000
Burial Hope Hull, Montgomery County, Alabama, USA
Memorial ID 55796482 · View Source
Suggest Edits



Mark is the third of five sons born to Patricia "Brady" McCain and William McCain. He had two older brothers, Danny and Luke, and two younger brothers, Matt, with whom he shared an especially close bond, and Bill. Being the middle child, he carved his own special little "niche" in the family. There was no end to the things he could do to make his presence known. Three of his aunts, (his mother's younger sisters), Sharon and Sandra (the twins), and Dianne (the baby), spent much of their early teen years visiting with us in the summer, and would on occasion babysit the boys. They have often told the story about taking the boys outside to play, where Mark, true to his nature, and usually the instigator, would run in one direction and his older brothers in opposite directions. Mark, only three at the time, would climb up in the magnolia tree and refuse to come down, so one of the girls, Sandra, had to climb the tree to get him. No opportunity was missed to make his quick get-a-ways, so shopping was an adventure to him and at the first opportunity he would slip away and after much searching, was usually found hiding under a counter behind the sliding doors which most stores had then. The problem was finding which counter he was hiding under.

He was really a sweet little boy, but his "Uncle Buddy" had classified him as a juvenile delinquent before he was even four years old. While visiting at his Grandparents home in the country, happily playing with three little kittens, he dropped them in the well to see if they could swim. Sadly, only two could! It took his Uncle Buddy a long time to forgive him for that. He loved all animals, especially his dog Frisky, who became his shadow, and was his constant companion and protector. Our home became a zoo as he grew up and was constantly adopting new pets. He had a gerbil when he was about ten years old that he carried around on his shoulder, and when he put it down, it would run along behind him as he walked. He had numerous pets, including white mice, rabbits, and kittens. Lots of kittens! While keeping the white mice in a cage in his room, some escaped and the house had to be fumigated. He replaced the mice with a black snake that he kept in an aquarium in his room. Even though he said it was harmless, that snake had to go!

Mark was by far not the best student in the class at school, but he got along well with his teachers who had already taught his two older brothers, so when he started second grade he also became a member of the Junior Traffic Police and served for five years, as his brothers Danny and Luke had done, and later his two younger brothers, Matt and Bill did. When he was twelve, he got a paper route and delivered newspapers on his bicycle. He saved his money and bought a motorbike but while delivering papers in all kinds of bad weather, he contracted a severe case of pneumonia which caused continuing health problems and had to give up his paper route.

Mark and his younger brother Matt shared a room together during their teens and were best friends, and as brothers who were best friends, they sometimes got into a bit of mischief together, although nothing really bad. Some of it we knew about then, and some thankfully we didn't learn about until much later when it was too late to worry about it anyway.

During his later teen years, Mark made some poor choices in friends and got into some troubling situations causing heartache for both himself and his family. He finally settled down, got his act together, and received his high school diploma. He then enrolled in John Patterson Technical School in Montgomery, earning a degree in Mechanical Engineering, while working as a Department Manager at the Montgomery Ward Store. After that, he worked with the City of Montgomery for a number of years.

It was at this time, he contracted viral pneumonia again and spent weeks in critical condition in the hospital ICU, after being diagnosed by doctors with Myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle that had been caused by the virus spreading to his heart. It was a life-threatening condition from which the doctors said patients often die within forty-eight hours, and if they survived, would likely suffer life-long damage to the heart. The odds of him making a full recovery were very poor, but fortunately he did.

Mark matured into a mild-mannered, tender-hearted, good natured and easy going young man. He enjoyed working with his hands and built his Dad a workshop about as big as a small house, with every kind of tool for almost any type of project. He liked wood-working and did some beautiful furniture refinishing there. He loved being outdoors and enjoyed grilling out with his Dad and family on holidays. The fact that Mark and I shared the same birthday, (March 17th, St. Patrick's Day) was very special to him. He loved celebrating St. Patrick's Day as our birthday and once gave me a birthday card with a real four-leaf clover inside that he had found after much searching. It is under the glass cover of my bedside table where it has been kept since he gave it to me. As a mother, to me it was a very special gift that is still a treasure.

He dearly loved his four children, Jonathan, Artrail, Maxine, and Delilah, who were the heart and soul of his life. He was a good Dad and he and his children were extremely close. Watching them together was a wonderful thing to see, because it was so obvious how much he loved them and they loved him. They were then, and are now, wonderful children, and remain very loving and protective of each other. God must have spared him when he was so critically ill so he would be able to love and take care of them, if even for a short time, and also give us the blessing of having them to love.

Mark died in a tragic accidental fall while cleaning the stone fishpond with a waterfall in his back yard. He will forever remain in our hearts and be remembered for the happiness that he brought into the lives of all of us who love and miss him so much. He now rests beside his brothers Danny and Luke in the Brady Cemetery at the home place of his grandparents in the country, where he and his brothers played as children; a place they all loved.


Mark's paternal grandparents were William Daniel McCain and Pearl Etta "Dees" McCain. His grandfather died of a heart attack at the age of thirty-four. Both his paternal grandfather and great-grandfather were police officers with the City of Montgomery. His maternal grandparents, Lewis Brady and Thelma "Burke" Brady lived in the Pintlala community in Montgomery County, Alabama. His Granddaddy was born and lived there all of his life, and his Grandmama moved there in her teens, where they met and married.


Family Members




  • Maintained by: Patriciaღ
  • Originally Created by: Rick & Kat
  • Added: 
  • Find A Grave Memorial 55796482
  • Patriciaღ
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Jonathan Mark McCain (17 Mar 1963–23 Oct 2000), Find A Grave Memorial no. 55796482, citing Brady Cemetery, Hope Hull, Montgomery County, Alabama, USA ; Maintained by Patriciaღ (contributor 47440549) .