|In the summer of 1997, we found the stone in this condition: The bottom portion was still secure in the base; however the top part of the stone had broken off and was lying on the ground. It was covered with a heavy coat of lichen and was black with discoloration. We cleaned the stone, and a lot of the black discoloration came off; however, not all of it did, especially around the edges. |
We drilled holes in the two parts and put them back together with brass rods and Barre-Pak. We used a composite mixture of Barre-Pak and ground marble to fill in the crack between the two pieces. This was layered in a little at a time during several work sessions over the course of three summers. The composite fill was lightly sanded to blend it with the stone as closely as possible. The letters in the front were in the crack and were carved slightly to help blend them in.