Actions
Begin New Search
Refine Last Search
Cemetery Lookup
Add Burial Records
Help with Find A Grave

Top Contributors
Success Stories
Discussion Forums
Find A Grave Store

Log In
sniksnak
The lovely bubbling holiday lights are moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested. Please do not use angelhair (spun glass) - low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract. Artificial snow and snow flock also has low toxicity - dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in the mouth.
Hang your treasured ornaments higher on the Christmas tree. Use wooden, medal, resin-cast or the like on the lower branches in case curious little paws want to play with bright and colorful ornaments. Tinsel isn't toxic, but if ingested, intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems ... please don't use.
The beauty of the fireplace colors (fire salts) is breath-taking on a cold winter's evening - moderate toxicity; symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations, including convulsions.
Resist the temptation to tie ribbons around pets necks for the holidays. The pets can tighten ribbons resulting in choking or hang themselves if the ribbon is caught on an object. Keep gift ribbons and bows out of sight to prevent chewing and swallowing.
Replace metal ornament hooks with tightly knotted fabric 1/4 inch ribbons, light-weight twine or yarn to slip easily over the branches of the tree.
Keep all pets securely indoors during firework displays. The frightening noise and the danger of exploding fireworks are hazardous to your pet.
A number of Christmas season plants are poisonous to pets if nibbled or eaten: ivy - moderate to very toxic, all parts; holly - moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves; mistletoe - very toxic, all parts, especially the berries; Christmas greens such as balsam, juniper, cedar, pine and fir - all parts have a low level of toxicity; hibiscus - may cause vomiting or bloody diarrhea if ingested; and poinsettias - leaves and stems low in toxicity. This is not a conclusive listing - there are many more toxic plants. It's wise to keep plants out of your pets' and children's reach.
Please do not give any animal or any pet of any age as Christmas gifts. Remember the first weeks of a new life or a sudden change in an adult pet is extremely traumatic for them. Instead, give gifts of pet supplies, food, and accessories. Then after the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the loved one can make a selection of the selected pet of their choice to bring home to peace and quiet for the pet. This will also provide the happy new pet guardian time to spend with his/her new life-time commitment.
Beware of holiday treats, alcoholic beverages, rich, fatty food scraps and bones which can be harmful or toxic to pets. Keep your pet on his regular diet and caution visitors against giving your pet "special treats" during holidays. Don't feed pets the cooled drippings either. Human seasonings aren't good for pets, plus the fact that the rich stock and drippings can easily upset pets' digestive systems. Though it's so tempting, don't give your pet large quantities of cooked turkey and ham. Again, human food is too rich; overfeeding of human food can cause additional health problems and feeding human food will often lead to unsatisfactory eating habits when given pet food at their regular mealtimes. Consumption of human food can also result in pitiful begging, an aggravating habit hard to break, when the family sits down for meals. COOKED BONES ARE DANGEROUS! Please, please don't feed your pets bones, especially poultry bones. Cooked poultry bones splinter easily - each year thousands of pets are treated for consumption of splintered bones, causing pain and sometimes death. Increased activity and visitors during the winter holiday season can upset your pet's routine. Try to keep your pet on his regular schedule for feeding and exercise and be sure the pet gets plenty of love.
If you are planning to take your pet with you when visiting friends and relatives during the holidays, be sure to contact them in advance to find out if your pet is welcome. Because of the excitement during the holidays, it might be best for both you and your pet to board your pet or hire a reputable pet sitter.
Have a happy and SAFE Christmas! Suse

Added by: sniksnak
12/10/2013

Privacy Statement and Terms of Service