|Deborah Wood (#46940039)|
| || member for 8 years, 11 months, 4 days|
| [Add to MyFriends]|
|Bio and Links|
To those interested in the PETER STEPHENS,SR ancestry, please note that aside from my own research, there are excellent and well documented sources for the immigration, naturalization and life courses of Peter Stephens and his descendants.|
One of the better authors and historians is Daniel Bly and he is among us here on findagrave (#48940997). One of his many works is FROM THE RHINE TO THE SHENANDOAH, Volume III (Baltimore, MD 2002), Stephens Chapter, pages 171-183.
Another well documented work is that of Linton E Love. He documents the Rittenhouse family immigrants & descendants in his RITTENHOUSE GENEALOGY CD version 20 March 2005" see page 13. Anyone wishing to learn should have a look at both of these works via Google books; the Rittenhouse work is available for free download in PDF form.
DISCUSSIONS OF MYTHS, LEGENDS & QUESTIONS:
1) MARIA CHRISTINA, Peters wife, some believe she is the daughter of Nicholas Rittenhouse & Wilhelmina DeWees. Actually their daughter married Jan Casper Jansen, and he outlived her, and they have many descendants. My research included a copy of the marriage banns and marriage record for Anna Maria Rittenhouse. This record was sent to me in 2005 by then president of the Rittenhouse Family Society, Larry Rittenouse of Canada. So, Maria Christina remains with an unknown maiden name.
2) JOST HITE, some believe that his second marriage was to Maria Magdelena Stephens, the daughter of Peter & Maria Christina Stephens. There were other women who are more likely: Peter Stephen's sister Magdalena, Magdalena, the widow of Christian Nicewander, and Magdelana Herr, widow of another Christian Nicewander.
3) OTHER CHILDREN, memorials on FAG include 4 children in addition to those listed in the will of Peter Stephens. They are Keziah & Elizabetha (Twins), Maria Christina (possible dupe of another with a similar name married to John Linville), and Lawrence (living to age 6). We have been told that these are all accurate according to old journals, but asking for copies of those pages has been flatly denied as private.
4) CHANGING HERITAGE: Recently the German Peter Stephens memorial was successfully changed to have English parentage. This was quickly changed back to German. Apparently a group of contributors claim to have found an old bible and family journals, so began changing memorials to suit their own needs. There were over 60 intentional duplicate memorials created by them that had to be removed by deletion or merger. Even the Peter Stephens memorial has been duplicated 8 times to try to get it their way. Proof of the new findings has never been produced although continually asked for by several contributors, but each time denied, and now they say the information will be kept private until further notice.
5) NEWTOWN HISTORY CENTER: Additionally, it has been claimed that new information in a bible and journals has been presented to the Newtown History Center in Stephens City in VA with positive response. However, author and historian, Daniel Bly has received confirmation from the Newtown History Center that "no new information regarding Peter Stephens family history has been brought to their attention; they have not met nor even heard of this group of people from Nebraska, claiming to have met with them."
Further proof of the children of Nicholas Rittenhouse and Wilhelmina DeWees is found in both of their Last Wills, easily found online. From both documents one can see that they had no daughter named Maria Christina who was married to Peter Stephens:
1734 WILL OF NICHOLAS RITTENHOUSE,
Philadelphia Cou WBE page 280, dated 4 May 1734
Children: William, Seikie, Catherine, Mary, Henry, Matthais, Susanna.
Note that there is no daughter named Maria Christina Rittenhouse here.
1737 WILL OF WILHELMINA DEWEES, a translation from Pennsylvania German by D. K. Cassel (page 74) of the will of Wilhelmina DeWees, the wife of Claus Rittinghausen, dated 6 March 1737
Note: Same children are included, plus grandchildren.
Again no daughter named Maria Christina Rittenhouse.
LAST WILL OF PETER STEPHENS, SR: Peter's will has been added to his memorial #167660501. Henry was their youngest child (see above discussion of FAG memorials in addition to these official names).
The children of Peter & Maria Christina Stephens were
1) Lewis aka Ludwig
2) Christina aka Maria Christina
To understand German naming, know that the daughters have a prefix, matching that of their mother. For example, First daughter, Christina is formally called Maria Christina. Rarely does one see daughter Margaret as Maria Margaret as they were by then, adjusting to the non formal naming patterns of their new country.
Likewise, German boys sometimes retain the "prefix" of the father. If you see Johann or Johannes Heinrich Steffans" that would be formal German for Henry Stephens. Hans is merely a prefix similar to our Mr.
In the case of Rittenhouse children, we find daughters with the same prefix as their mother, that being Anna. Children of Nicholas "Claes" or "Claus" Rittenhouse and his wife Anna Wilhelmina (Willemijn) DeWees:
1) SYTJE aka Seikie (sometimes spelled as Zitian)
b 1690 She married JOHN GORGAS
2) WILLIAM aka Wilhelm b 1691
He married LISBETH JANSEN
3) MARYA aka Mary Maria, Anna Maria b 1695
She married CASPER JOHANNES JANSEN
4) CATHERINE aka Anna Catherine b 1697
She married JACOB ENGEL
5) SUSANNA aka Anna Susanna b 1698
She married JOHANN HEINRICH HEILIG
6) HENRY aka Heinrich b 1700
He married SUSANNA WOOL
7) MATTHIAS b 1702
He married ELIZABETH WILLIAMS
|Find A Grave Friends|
Bob Fansler, Cassie Hill, Chantelle, Coy O. York, Daniel Bly, George Harger, Grandpa Zeke, Jackie, larry eanes, Mary Musson-Abb..., Michael L. Rams..., Mike K. William..., minniokie, Stephen Kronber..., Thomas Wise Ror..., Timmy Tilley
|Messages left for Deborah Wood (10)||[Leave Message]|
|Cassie Hill||RE: Here's a story Bob had on his profile in June 2016|
As do I. Do you know why their journals and Bible are now private? What is going on? As we discussed when we were in Virginia, it's time to shut this down.
|Cassie Hill||Message for Daniel Stephens|
Daniel, you say the "treasures" are out in the open. They are not. You don't post them, you don't respond to questions. You also indicate that there has been positive feedback to them. Who? Who has seen them? There are no journals. There is no Bible. If there were, they would be in German and you indicate they're in English. The Stephens' did not speak English for several generations. You talk about meeting Stephens City officials. Who? No one there knows you.
|DStephens||Peter Stephens DNA|
Hello Deborah, I have a researcher in VA trying to determine the parents of my John D. Stephens. John was in the area of Franklin & Montgomery counties in VA in the late 1700's & early 1800's. The researcher has abstracted yearly Stephens tax records for many counties in southwest VA from around 1780 thru 1815. I think the abstracts include your Peter Stephens (1732-1812). I'm wondering if you know whether any Peter Stephens descendants have been tested for Ancestry.com DNA or Family Tree DNA. I would like to find out if I'm connected to the Peter Stephens line. I'm very willing to share my research information. I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
|Bob Stephens||RE: Andrew...|
Thank you Deborah. The clue is out there somewhere. of course, there are cousins in Nemaha County, Nebraska might have the answer of Andrew father. Like Tom Scott mention, there is someone that knows in Nebraska We need to keep on searching.
|Bob Stephens||RE: So....|
I been so busy with the websites.
Have you found more information on Andrew J. Stephens family line?
|James Stephens||RE: Love your website|
Thank you Deborah for the kind words.
|Jessie Hagan||Reynolds Family|
I would like to speak with you about the Reynolds family.
I work for the Sons of the American Revolution in Louisville, KY.
Could you contact me at:
I looked through all my records and don't know where I got the name Thomas so I've updated Find A Grave and ancestry.com to remove the Thomas part. Thank you for making me aware of this.
Added by Jackie on Jul 22, 2016 3:27 PM
|Bob Stephens||RE: Andrew born 1810|
I am not going keep on repeating things. Andrew Stephens and Ruth Bishop are totally different lines from ours.
You are not be misunderstood. I thank your for your research and input on our lines.
Do not get more upset over this.
Just be patience my dear cousin. We all here to create accurate and true memorials. To honor and respect our ancestors.
|Bob Stephens||RE: Not possible|
Which journals ? There are several journals that we found. There several of our Stephens family ancestors that wrote in the journals.
The main one you are talking about was written by Peter Stephens and his wife Maria Christina together. Maria is the one that wrote about Peter Steffens. There is one that Lewis wrote one also. There is various ancestors that wrote the journals.
|[View all messages...]|