|Birth: ||Dec., 1825|
Parents of George W. Mayfield remain unknown at this time.
He married his first wife Polly Ann Smith about 1844 somewhere in Alabama. They were the parents of 4 children:
1. William Spenser born 1845 in Alabama, who married Frances L. Betty Haywood.
2. Martha Ann born 1847 in Clarke County, MS, who married
William D. Miller.
3. John S. born 1849 in Clarke County, MS, who married Penelope Pinetta E. (Nettie) Herrington. This family moved to Indian Territory (Oklahoma).
4.Nancy Elizabeth born 15 January 1852 in Clarke County, MS. who married William Marion Therrell.
Polly Ann Smith Mayfield died 15 January 1852 at the birth of or soon after Nancy Elizabeth
George W. Mayfield married Malissa Felecia Cox on
24 October 1854 in Clarke County, MS.
They were the parents of 5 children:
1. George Alexander (Sandy),(1855) who married Rebecca Ann Crosby
2. Mary Amanda, (1856) who married John Wesley Herring
3. Margaret E., (1857) who married James L. Nix
4. Milded Malissa, (1859) who married John Washington Nutt
5. Martha Caroline (Callie) (1861) who married Crawford McDonald Clegg.
George W. Mayfield served as a Private in Company A, 2nd Regiment Infantry, Mississippi Infantry, State Troops. He enlisted August 22, 1864 at Enterprise, Clarke County, Ms and was sent to Macon, MS. In the Pension Application of his son William Spenser Mayfield on 7/18/1911, Lauderdale County, MS, George W. Mayfield and M. D. Riley state that they were also members of Co. A, 2nd Regt. and knew him to be a good and faithful soldier and that he did not desert the Confederate service.
George W. Mayfield died at Wautubbee, Clarke County, MS
and was buried on his home place. Location of his grave
has been lost through the years.
Though he is not buried at Pine Hill Cemetery, a great
great great granddaughter had a memorial bench placed there
to honor the memory of her ancestors of that area who are
buried in lost graves.
Malissa Felecia Cox Mayfield (1828 - 1897)
Note: Note: He is buried at another location on his home place.
Pine Hill Cemetery
Maintained by: Emma Lou Burt Price
Originally Created by: Debora Reese
Record added: Mar 12, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 13596427
To honor the memory of my great,great,great grandfather.|
Emma Lou Burt Price
Added: Nov. 26, 2011
For great, great grandfather|
Added: Sep. 18, 2010