|Birth: ||Dec. 12, 1850|
|Death: ||Mar. 10, 1960|
West Virginia, USA
The dates listed here, from a published transcription of the cemetery, seem peculiar to me (a 110-year lifespan), and that is part of the reason that I am posting them. I am hoping that someone who sees it here will be willing to recheck it for me.
Vachel was listed with his parents, Samuel and Mary A. Campbell, in the 1850 US Census of Mead Township, Belmont County, Ohio, as age 5, so he was born about 1844-45. His first marriage was to Isabel Wallace, from a neighboring family, 9 Sept 1875, in Belmont County. They had three known daughters, born in Belmont County:
1. Orpha "May" Campbell who married William Riley Snodgrass in Wetzel County, WV.
2. An unnamed daughter who lived for two days.
3. Etta E. Campbell who married John Walter Amos in Wetzel County. She is buried with her infant son, John D. Amos, in Pricetown Cemetery, too.
Vachel's first wife, Isabel (Wallace) Campbell, died 15 Nov 1883, in Wetzel County, WV.
Vachel's second marriage was to Mary Martha Copenhaver, 18 Nov 1888, in Wetzel County. They had three known children:
1. Enoch Webster Campbell who married Eulah Hyson.
2. Maggie Campbell born Nov 1894, in WV, probably Wetzel County.
3. Rosa Campbell born April 1898, in WV, probably Wetzel County.
Mary Martha (Copenhaver) Campbell was listed in the 1900 US Census as a widow with these children, so I think that Vachel died between 1897 and 1900; possibly 1900 was on his gravestone and the transcriber misread it as 1960? Mary Martha died 11 May 1922, according to her Wetzel Co WV death certificate, but it does not list her burial place.
Orpha May Campbell Snodgrass (1876 - 1956)*
Etta E Campbell Amos (1879 - 1907)*
Pricetown (Wetzel County)
West Virginia, USA
Created by: 9cvxvck02
Record added: Jul 19, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 39616102