|Birth: ||Jun. 24, 1879|
|Death: ||Aug. 11, 1933|
Grace Savannah Thomas was born 24 Jun 1879 in McCordsville, Hancock, Indiana to James Harvey Thomas and Ruth Anna Waddy.
She married Joseph William Armfield 14 Jun 1911 in Marion County, Indiana (Indiana Marriage Collection). They had the following children:
Mary Esther, b. 15 May 1912
Merrill Calvin, b. 20 Jan 1914
Walter Malone, b. 16 Apr 1916
Grace passed away "at her home two and one-half miles east of Hemlock on 11 Aug 1933 at 1 o'clock following an illness of ten weeks." (Obituary)
1. Headstone in Greenlawn Cemetery, Greentown, Howard, Indiana. Her headstone reads: "Grace Wife of Joseph Armfield, 1879-1933". She is buried in lot #110 in the "Old Part" next to her husband Joseph William Armfield, in the Greenlawn Cemetery, Greentown, Howard, Indiana.
2. Howard County Board of Health Index to Birth Records gives her full middle name.
3. Hasler-Pickett Funeral Home, Greentown, Indiana.
4. Howard County Board of Health Birth Record Bk H-11, p. 24 for Merril C. Armfield (son of Joseph & Grace).
5. 1880 US Census for Anna Thomas & family living in McCordsville, Hancock, Indiana. Lists Harvey Thomas (head) age 27 born abt 1853 in Indiana, wife Anna age 26 born abt 1854 in Indiana, dau Dessie age 6 born abt 1874 in Indiana, and dau Gracie age 1 born abt 1879 in Indiana. Since the family was living in McCordsville so near to when Grace was born, I have put McCordsville down as her birthplace.
6. 1900 US Census for Grace Thomas living with siblings & parents in Crawford, Cherokee, Kansas. Lists Harry Thomas (head) age 51 born May 1849 in Indiana, wife Anna age 45 born Jul 1854 in Indiana, dau Grace age 20 born Jun 1879 in Indiana, dau Edith age 16 born Mar 1884 in Indiana, dau Huldah age 12 born Oct 1887 in Indiana, son Floyd age 10 born Aug 1890 in Indiana, son Chester age 8 born Jan 1892 in Indiana, and dau Crystal age 6 months born Nov 1899 in Crawford, Cherokee, Kansas.
7. 1920 US Census for Joseph Wm Armfield & family living in Taylor Township, Howard, Indiana. Lists Joseph Wm Armfield age 69 (head) born abt 1851 in Indiana, wife Grace S. age 40 born abt 1880 in Indiana, dau Mary E. age 7 born abt 1913 in Indiana, son Merril age 5 born abt 1915 in Indiana, son Walter age 3y 9m born abt 1917 in Indiana.
8. 1930 US Census for Grace Armfield & family living in Taylor Township, Howard, Indiana. Lists Grace (head) age 50 born abt 1880 in Indiana, dau Mary age 17 born abt 1913 in Indiana, son Merrill age 16 born abt 1914 in Indiana, son Walter age 14 born abt 1916 in Indiana. Also listed is Ruth Anna (Thomas) (mother of Grace) age 75 born abt 1855 in Indiana and Susan Waddy (aunt to Grace) age 69 born abt 1861 in Indiana.
9. Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941. Grace S. Thomas married Joseph W. Armfield 14 Jun 1911 in Marion County, Indiana. She was born 24 Jun 1879. Book 61, p 507.
10. Obituary of Grace S. Armfield published in the Kokomo Tribune on Fri 11 Aug 1933, p2. She "died at her home two and one-half miles east of Hemlock on 11 Aug 1933 at 1 o'clock following an illness of ten weeks." She was age 54. "Funeral services will be held Sunday [13 Aug 1933] at 1:30 o'clock. Burial will follow in the I. O. O. F. [Greenlawn] cemetery at Greentown."
1. While researching the index to the birth records at the Howard County Board of Health in Kokomo, Indiana, I discovered Grace's middle name. Her headstone does not give this information, nor do any other records that I could find.
2. Grace's middle name was found on ancestry.com.
3. Grace's grandmother Mary A. was born in England.
Joseph William Armfield (1850 - 1923)*
Merrill C. Armfield (1914 - 1969)*
Walter Malone Armfield (1916 - 1970)*
Plot: Sec: OP, Lot: 110
Maintained by: Rich Ware
Originally Created by: John C. Anderson
Record added: Dec 31, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 46189888