|Birth: ||Feb. 1, 1837|
|Death: ||Feb. 5, 1926|
Private ROWLAND THOMAS PAYNE, Co. A, 86th Illinois
Rowland Thomas Payne was born on February 1, 1837 in Sullivan, Illinois in Moultrie County, the son of Richard Weston Payne and Perlina (Hampton) Payne. Richard was born on __________ __, 1805 at __________, Kentucky, while Perlina Hampton was born July __, 1812/14/15 at __________, Kentucky, the daughter of Ephriam H. Hampton, who was born May 22, 1774 in Granville County, North Carolina and who died on December 26, 1821 in Jefferson County, Kentucky, and Elizabeth (Enochs) Hampton, who was born August 17, 1774 in Rowan County, North Carolina and who died sometime after the 1860 census.
Richard Weston Payne and Perlina Hampton were married on August 24, 1833 in Oldham County, Kentucky and were the parents of eleven children including;
1. Rowland Thomas Payne, born February 1, 1837 in Moutrie County, Illinois; See his biography below.
2. Joseph Ephraim Payne, born January 1, 1840 in Sullivan
Moultrie County, Illinois; He was a member of the Co. A of the 86th Illinois; See his Find A Grave site for more biographical information about him.
3. Elizabeth Payne, born c. 1841/42 in Illinois; Elizabeth is found in the 1850 census, but not in the 1860; She may have been married in the late 1850's.
4. Henry J Payne, born c. 1844/45 in Illinois; Henry is found in the 1850 and 1860 census records, but nothing is known about him after 1860.
5. John Payne, born c. 1844/45 in Illinois; John is found in the 1850, but not in the 1860 census; John may have died in the 1850's.
6. Winfield W. Payne, born October 17, 1847 in Sullivan, Illinois; married to Mary Ann Sherman on __________ __, 18__; At the time of the 1880 census, this is the way his family appears in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois;
Self Win. W. Payne M 32 Illinois
Wife Mary A. Payne F 31 Massachusetts
Son Claude E. Payne M 14 Illinois
Son Walter W. Payne M 10 Illinois
Daughter Nellie F. Payne F 5 Illinois
Winfield died on July 21, 1939 in Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois; His death certificate lists his occupation as Laborer and his parents as Weston Payne and Perline Hampton, both of whom are listed as being born in Kentucky; His mortal remains were laid in the Eureka Cemetery in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois.
7. Susan Melissa Payne, born July 8, 1850 in Sullivan, Moultrie County, Illinois. Susan died March 18, 1929 in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois. Susan was married to Henry Reel Darst, who had served with her older brother, Roland, in Co. A of the 86th Illinois. Susan's death certificate lists were parents as Weston Payne and Paulina Hawfton, both of whom were born in Kentucky; Susan was listed as a retired housewife; Her mortal remains were laid in the Olio Township Cemetery in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois on March 20, 1929; See the Find A Grave site of Henry Reel Darst, #40918235, for more biographical information about her family.
8. Guthrie J Payne, born c. 1853/54 in Illinois; Guthrie is found in the 1860 census; After this, nothing is known about him.
9. Benjamin Payne, born c. 1856/57 in Illinois; Benjamin Payne may be the Ben Payne found in Cruger Township of Woodford County working as a farmhand His parents are listed as having been born in Kentucky;
Self Ben Payne M 22 Illinois
Wife Sarah Payne F 23 Illinois
Now to continue with what we know about the family of Richard and Perlina Payne;
At the time of the 1850 census, the Payne family is found in Moultrie County, Illinois;
R W Payne M 44 Kentucky
Perlina Payne F 24 Kentucky
Roland P Payne M 13 Illinois
Ephraim Payne M 10 Illinois
Eliz Payne F 8 Illinois
Henry J Payne M 5 Illinois
John Payne M 5 Illinois
Winfred S Payne M 3 Illinois
Eliz Hampton F 76 North Carolina
At the time of the 1860 census, the Payne family is found in the Incorporated Town Of Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois;
Richard W Payne M 53 Ky
Paulina Payne F 44 Ky
Roland T Payne M 22 Ill
Henry J Payne M 15 Ill
Joseph E Payne M 20 Ill
Springfield W Payne M 10 Ill
Susan M Payne F 8 Ill
Guthrie J Payne M 6 Ill
Benjamin Payne M 3 Ill
Richard Weston Payne died on ____________ __, 1875 and his mortal remains were laid in the Olio Township Cemetery in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois. See his Find A Grave Memorial #88576982.
At the time of the 1900 census, Perlina is found residing with her daughter, Sue M. Darst, and her family in Olio Township Eureka city Ward 1-3, Woodford County, Illinois. She is listed as widowed and having been the mother of 11 children, eight of whom are still living in 1900;
Henry R Darst Head M 53 Ohio
Sue M Darst Wife F 50 Illinois
Ora M Darst Daughter F 31 Illinois
Homer E Darst Son M 29 Missouri
Myrtle J Darst Daughter F 27 Illinois
Peter P Darst Son M 22 Illinois
Irma L Darst Daughter F 17 Illinois
Paulina Payne Mother-in-law F Jul 1815 85 Kentucky
Albert Gayeer Roomer M 32 Germany
Perlina (Hampton) Payne died on ____________ __, 1905
Now to continue with the biography of Richard Thomas Payne;
On July 26, 1862, Roland Thomas Payne was one first 15 men to volunteer to service in a company which was being raised in Eureka and El Paso, Illinois in Woodford County by William S. Magarity, who had been the first man elected to serve as Woodford County Sheriff in the 1840's.
ILLINOIS CIVIL WAR DETAIL REPORT
Name PAYNE, ROLAN F
Rank PVT Company A Unit 86 IL US INF
Residence OLIO, WOODFORD CO, IL Age 24 Height 6' 1/4 Hair BLACK
Eyes HAZEL Complexion DARK Marital Status SINGLE Occupation FARMER
Nativity SULLIVAN, MOULTRIE CO, IL
Joined When JUL 26, 1862 Joined Where OLIO, IL
Joined By Whom CPT MAGARITY Period 3 YRS
Muster In AUG 27, 1862 Muster In Where PEORIA, IL
Muster In By Whom N/A Muster Out JUN 6, 1865
Muster Out Where WASHINGTON, DC Muster Out By Whom LT SCROGGS
Rowland was married to Margaret Cummings on February 1, 1866 in Logan County, Illinois. Margaret was born on April __, 1848 in __________ County, Illinois, the daughter of __________ Cummings and __________ (__________) Cummings.
At least five children were born to them. They are;
1. Lena Payne, born c. 1866/67 in Illinois.
2. Lona Elizabeth Payne, April 6, 1869 in Woodford County, Illinois; Lona was never married, was a Milliner for many years and resided for many years, if not her whole life, in the Eureka, Illinois area; Lona died on April 27, 1938 in Eureka, Illinois and her earthly remains were laid in the Olio Township Cemetery in Eureka, Illinois.
3. Elsey Payne, born c. 1872/73 in Illinois.
4. Oley (Olie) H. Payne, born on October __, 1877 in Illinois; died on __________ __, 1926.
5. Addie Payne, born c. 1878/79 in Illinois.
6. Guy A. Payne, born April __, 1882 in Illinois.
At the time of the 1880 census, the Payne family is found in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois. Rowland is listed as a Wagon Maker and his parents as having been born in Kentucky;
Self Roland T. Payne M 43 Illinois
Wife Marg. Payne F 32 Illinois
Daughter Lena Payne F 13 Illinois
Daughter Lona Payne F 10 Illinois
Daughter Elsie Payne F 7 Illinois
Son Olie Payne M 3 Illinois
Daughter Addie Payne F 1 Illinois
At the time of the 1900 census, the Paynes are found residing in Ward 3 of the City of Pekin, Pekin Township, Tazewell County, Illinois;
Head Rollan T Payne M 62 Feb 1838 Illinois
Wife Margaret Payne F 52 Apr 1848 Illinois
Daughter Lona Payne F 32 Apr 1868 Illinois
Son Olev Payne M 23 Oct 1877 Illinois
Son Guy Payne M 18 Apr 1882 Illinois
At the time of the 1920 census, the Paynes are found in Olio, Woodford County, Illinois;
Head Roland R Payne M 82 Illinois
Wife Margaret C Payne F 70 Illinois
Son Guy A Payne M 37 Illinois
Rowland T. Payne was the only member of Co. A to attend what was to prove to be the last reunion of the 86th, which was held in Peoria, Illinois on August 29th and 30th of 1923 in the G.A.R. Hall which still stands in downtown Peoria. Thus he was the last member of Co. A to attend a reunion.
Rowland Thomas Payne died on February 5, 1926 in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois. His birthdate is listed as February 1, 1837 and his parents were listed as Weston Payne and Perlina Hampton, borh of whom are listed as being born in Kentucky. Rowland is listed as being a Retired Carpenter and as residing in Eureka, Illinois. His mortal remains were laid to rest in the Olio Township Cemetery in Eureka, Woodford County, Illinois on February 7, 1926. His wife is listed as Margeret Payne.
by Baxter B. Fite III
(Baxter would love to hear from anyone, especially descendants of the Payne family, who might be able to add to the biographical material that we have on Roland T. Payne and the Payne family. Baxter would also love to see copies of any photographs of Roland T. Payne that may have survived the years, especially any showing him in uniform from his days in the service, added to his Find A Grave site for all to see.)
Richard Weston Payne (1805 - 1875)
Perlina Hampton Payne (1814 - 1905)
Margaret Cummings Payne (1848 - 1935)*
Lona Elizabeth Payne (1869 - 1937)*
Elsie Payne Brubaker (1873 - 1964)*
Oliver Hisburt Payne (1877 - 1926)*
Addie Payne Capron (1879 - 1976)*
Rowland Thomas Payne (1837 - 1926)
Joseph Ephriam Payne (1840 - 1903)*
Susan Mellisa Payne Darst (1850 - 1929)*
Olio Township Cemetery
Created by: Baxter B. Fite III
Record added: Jul 15, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 54999560