|Birth: ||Oct. 8, 1862|
|Death: ||Nov. 27, 1913|
Jackson J. Barnard was born during the War Between the States in 1862. He was the son on James Jonathan Barnard
and Mary Alice Johnston Barnard.
His father was a Confederate soldier who died on July 1, 1864 in Charlottesville, Virginia. He served in "H" Company, GA 61st Infantry. Following the death of Jackson Barnard's father, his mother remarried to Rev. Henry Senn Williams and 7 children were born to their marriage.
The following sketch is from Huxford
James Jackson Barnard, a son of James Jonathan Barnard and Mary Alice Johnston, was born October 8, 1862, at Glennville, Georgia. He died November 27, 1913 and was buried at Ebenezer Cemetery in Tattnall County. His mother, Mary Alice Johnston Barnard, was the daughter of Randal l Johnston, born 1811, and Mary Jane Robert, born February 12, 1819 in Savannah, Georgia, and died February 19, 1891 at New Hope, Georgia. James Jackson Barnard was married twice. His first wife was Caroline Lucretia Tootle, a daughter of John P.J. Tootle and Catherine Ophelia Thompson. John P.J. Tootle was born February 13, 1822. Caroline Lucretia Tootle was born July 23, 1869, and died September 25, 1896 at Milledgeville, Georgia, and was buried there in the State Hospital Cemetery. His second wife was Cora Matthews , daughter of Robert Sloan Matthews, from North Carolina, and Missouri Woodard Matthews, of Ware County, Georgia. Cora Matthews was born October 8, 1883, in Ware County, and died November 9, 1970 at Glennville, Georgia. She was buried at Ebenezer Cemetery beside her husband. James Jackson Barnard was the father of ten children. The first three by the first marriage to Caroline Lucretia Tootle, and seven by the second marriage to Cora Matthews. The children were:
1. John Isaac b. 5/17/1888, m. Lena Dell Ragsdale, Cobb Co., Ga, d. 12/27/1964. 10/10/1920, dau. of Jonathan Harrison Ragsdale and Mary Susannah McEver.
2. Alice Ophelia b. 11/23/1890, m. William Henry Murray, d. 9/17/1949. 9/18/1903.
3. Louisa Elizabeth b. 7/2/1892, m. Rollie Herman Pearson, d. 2/??/1976. 12/1/1918.
4. Florence Estelle b. 3/2/1898, m. Thomas Cleveland Banks, d. 11/22/1918. son of Thomas Falligan Banks.
5. William Robert b. 8/30/1900, m. 1) Dora Inez Barrow, dau. of d. 2/13/1974. David Lloyd Barrow and LuVincy Odum, 2/17/1919.
2) Georgia Belle Kicklighter, 12/25/1928, dau. of Willie Clarence Kicklighter and Manetta Williams.
6. Glenn b. died an infant.
7. Thomas b. died an infant.
8. Leland Jackson b. 5/13/1905, m. Elizabeth Barrow, 1922, d. 2/17/1976. dau. of David Lloyd Barrow and Luvincy Odum.
9. Laura Belle b. 2/13/1907, m. never married.
10. Ira Sloan b. 10/6/1909, m. Dora LaDelle Price dau. of Thomas Watson Price and Leary Mae Strickland of Tattnall Co., 1951.
The Barnards are of English descent and originally settled at Daisy, Georgia near Claxton, where there is a small cemetery referred to, by local people, as the "Barnard-Durrence Cemetery". Graves are not marked, and it is thought that many Barnard descendants were buried there.
Miss Laura Belle Barnard, the ninth child, served twenty-five years a s a missionary to India sponsored by the Freewill Baptist Church, and was a professor at Freewill Baptist College at Nashville, Tennessee, until her retirement. When she retired she moved to Glennville, Georgia.
Leland Jackson Barnard, the eighth child, was a Freewill Baptist minister at Lyons, Georgia. William Robert Barnard, the fifth child, wa pastor at Watermelon Creek Church in Tattnall County, Georgia until his death.
Barnard Street, the main street in the business district of Glennville Georgia, was named for the Barnard family, and the name Barnard is, to this day, a prominent name in Glennville, and in Tattnall County, Georgia. James Jackson Barnard taught music in Ware County Public Schools in the 1890's.
Contributed by: Louise Elizabeth Pearson.
James Jonathan Barnard (1839 - 1864)
Mary Alice Johnston Barnard Williams (1844 - 1915)
Cora Ardelia Matthews Barnard (1883 - 1970)
John Isaac Barnard (1888 - 1964)*
Alice Ophelia Barnard Murray (1890 - 1949)*
Florence Estelle Barnard Banks (1898 - 1918)*
William Robert Barnard (1900 - 1974)*
Laura Belle Barnard (1907 - 1992)*
Ira Sloan Barnard (1909 - 1990)*
Jackson J Barnard (1862 - 1913)
Mary J Williams (1866 - 1881)**
Margaret E Williams (1869 - 1871)**
Laura Emily Williams Mobley (1872 - 1938)**
Araminta Annabell Williams Dorety (1875 - 1951)**
Henry A. Williams (1877 - 1955)**
Dora Frances Williams Knight (1878 - 1929)**
Floyd Williams (1883 - 1932)**
Ebenezer Free Will Baptist Church Cemetery
Created by: Jerry Barnard
Record added: Mar 02, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 49004590