|Birth: ||Nov. 6, 1748, Ireland|
|Death: ||Sep. 6, 1829|
South Carolina, USA
Died at 80 year 10 months.
Note: William and Barbara Chestnut Mophet, with their small son Samuel, sailed from Belfast, Ireland, in August 1772 on the "Mary Jane" and landed in Charleston, South Carolina in October 1772 with a grant from George III of 250 acres of land in Chester County, South Carolina. William served in the Revoluntionary War for 61 days in Col. Water's regiment under Gen. Sumpter. He is buried in the Moffat-Strong graveyard on Fishing Creek, Hopewell, Chester, South Carolina on a portion of the original land grant.
Message: "The ship they sailed on was probably the "James and Mary." The five ships that sailed under Rev. Martin with the Scot-Irish Covenanters were the Lord Dunluce, James and Mary, Pennsylvania Farmer, Free Mason and Hopewell. The James and Mary landed at Charleston on Oct 18, 1722."
Married: William Moffatt/Moffett in Ireland.
Father: Alexander CHESTNUT b: 1713 in Antrim Co., Ireland
Mother: Jeanette BROWN b: 1726 in Ireland
1) Samuel Moffatt, b. about 1769, Ballylig, County Antrim, Ireland , d. 9 February 1854, Little Rocky Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina
2) James Moffatt, b. 1776, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina, d. after 1794, Chester Co., South Carolina
3) Martha "Mattie" Moffatt, b. 1777, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina, d. 2 February 1837, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina,
4) John Moffatt, b. 17 January 1783, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina, d. 26 January 1859, Troy, Obion Co., Tennessee,
5) William Moffatt, b. 23 February 1786, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina, USA , d. 10 April 1851, Chester District, South Carolina,
6) David Moffett, b. 1789, Fishing Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina, d. 20 August 1830, Little Rocky Creek, Chester Co., South Carolina.
Note: The cemetery picture was taken by Mary Ann Baggett Ferguson.
Alexander AKA David Chestnut (1713 - 1778)
Jennett Brown Chestnut (1726 - 1779)
William Moffett (1738 - 1794)*
Samuel Moffet (____ - 1854)*
James Moffatt (1771 - 1825)*
Martha Moffatt Millen (1777 - 1837)*
John Moffatt (1783 - 1859)*
William Moffatt (1786 - 1851)*
David Moffet (1789 - 1830)*
Barbara Chestnut Moffett (1748 - 1829)
Alexander Chestnut (1759 - 1809)**
South Carolina, USA
Created by: Zoe Tom
Record added: Jul 26, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 39888140