North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Jun. 23, 1824|
ELIJAH PUGH was born circa 1760 in Randolph County, North Carolina to Jesse Pugh (1737-1811) & Elizabeth Stewart.
Elijah began serving in the Revolution at the age of 15. He and his father, Jesse Pugh earned Georgia Land Bounties for their service. They fought at the Battle of Kettle Creek, the Battle of Augusta, and several other Battles in Georgia and South Carolina. (Elijah's wife, Ruth Julian-Pugh carried messages across the battle field during the American Revolution).
After the war, Elijah settled in Grove Hill, Alabama on land from the Choctaw Purchase (known as Washington County, Mississippi at that time - present day Clarke County, Alabama). Elijah served as an Officer of the Clarke County, Alabama Courts, and he was Justice of Quoram until retirement in 1818.
Elijah married Ruth Julian-Pugh in 1784 at Wilkes County, Georgia, and they had SEVEN children:
Isaac Pugh (1785-1839),
Reason (Rezin) Pugh (1787-1866),
Mariam Pugh-Jackson (1790-1836),
Jesse Pugh (1795-1865),
Achsah (Axey) Pugh-(M1)Robinson-(M2)Chapman (1797-1871),
Alvira (Alviry) Pugh-Hall (1801-1864), and
Stephen B. Pugh (1805-1883).
Elijah passed away on 23 June 1824 in Clarke County, Alabama, and was buried at the Pugh Cemetery in Clarke County, Alabama.
1. Mulder (inactive) (#46825092) had Elijah's date of death in 1837 instead of 1824 (apparently from a Family Bible). Anyone who has done any reasearch knows the year of his wife's death (Ruth Julian-Pugh) is incorrect on her headstone. Therefore, I have entered the date of death in his biography as 23 June 1824, but will leave the 1837 that Mulder entered until documentation is located to support one of the years.
2. The Heritage of Clarke County, Alabama, Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., Clanton, Alabama, 2001, p. 290 & 291; Ph: 1800-568-1611; ISBN: 1-891647-40-7.
3. Pugh, Minnie May, Chapman and Pugh Family History and Allied Lines, Published 1963, Reprinted 1976, Commercial Printing Company, PO Box 10302, Birmingham, Alabama, p. 141, Stephen P. & Martha Cornelia Pugh-Chapman Family Bible Translation.
4. Photo Copy of Elijah's Son's Family Bible, Isaac Pugh; Digital Photo Copy from William Pugh Hand, Huntsville, Aabama,(12 August 2004).
5. Photo: Soldiers of The American Revolution Monument at Clarke County Museum, 116 Cobb St., Grove Hill, Clarke County, Alabama. Contact Mark Morrow: email@example.com for photo.
6. DAR Patriot Index, NSDAR, Diamond Jubilee Administration, Washington, D. C., 1967, p. 550, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 67-27776.
7. Knight, Lucian Lamar, Georgia's Roster of the Revolution, (Compiled under Authority of The Legislature), Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Company, (Original: Atlanta, 1920), (Reprint: Baltimore, 1967), pp. 194 (Land Bounty Explaination) & 203 (Named). Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 67-24375.
8. Bounty Land Warant #2128, 20 May 1784 Washington County, Georgia, Surveyor (Joseph Pannell), Authorization for a Land Tract of 287 1/2 Acres, Certified by D. Rees, Deputy Secretary, Signed John Habersham, Presiding Continental Congress.
9. Julich, Louise Milam, Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots in Alabama, DAR, Parchment Press, Montgomery, Alabama, 1979, pp. 492-494.
10. Yochim, Eldred Martin, DAR Patriot Index Centennial Edition Part III, NSDAR, Washington, D. C., 1994, p. 2380.
11. Richard White online Cemetery Transcription; Pugh Cemetery, Clarke Co, Alabama, Lat: 31.700 N - Long: 87.831 W.
12. Headstone Photo: Pugh Family Cemetery, Grove Hill, Clarke County, Alabama.
(Call "The Gift Gallery" for Key to the Cemetery Gate. Take 84 West from Grove Hill, when the hiway merges from 2 lanes into 1, drive 6/10ths of a mile to a rusted red cattle gate on the left side of the road. You are getting close when you see mile marker 40 (slow down). Once you drive through the gate the cemetery is less than a tenth of a mile on the right behind a chain link fence).
© Mark Morrow
Ruth Julian Pugh (1763 - 1852)
Isaac Pugh (1785 - 1839)*
Rezin Pugh (1787 - ____)*
Jesse Pugh (1795 - 1864)*
Axaeth Pugh Chapman (1797 - 1874)*
Alice Alvira Pugh Hall (1801 - 1864)*
Stephen B. Pugh (1805 - 1883)*
Maintained by: Mark Morrow
Originally Created by: mulder
Record added: Feb 17, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 17968893
Thanks for my life Great,Great,GreatGrandfather|
Added: Feb. 21, 2015
Elijah began serving the Revolution at the age of 15|
Added: Aug. 9, 2013
Honoring American Patriot Elijah Pugh, DAR Ancestor #: A092057 Service: GEORGIA Rank: PATRIOTIC SERVICE Birth: 1760 NORTH CAROLINA Death: 6-23-1824 CLARKE CO ALABAMA Service Source: O'KELLEY & WARREN, GA REV BOUNTY LAND RECS 1783-1785, P 68Se...(Read more)|
Vonnie L Cantrell
Added: Oct. 4, 2012
|There are 6 more notes not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...