|Birth: ||unknown, England|
|Death: ||Dec. 10, 1710|
Jonathan Hatch, Sr., one of the founders in 1660/1 of Suconesett, now known as the Town of Falmouth, Mass. He was the next door neighbor at Falmouth to another of that town's founders, Isaac Robinson, the memorialist's ancestor.
Jonathan Hatch, Sr. is claimed to have been b. on Sept. 7, 1625 in England. That he was b. in England is not doubted. However, if Jonathan's existing gravestone, which was erected in 1991, replaced a former crumbing gravestone that had the same exact "aged" at death (84), Jonathan died at the chronological age of 83, and Ætatis (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 84. The Latin term Ætatis is the language that was used on all gravestones well into the 1800s. It is 1 year more than a person's chronological age. Thus, Jonathan Hatch was b. not earlier than Dec. 11, 1626, not in the year 1625, for him to have been 83 years old at death. In addition, any primary record of Jonathan at birth in England would be a parish baptism record, and he obviously could not be baptized before he was born.
On the other hand, absent apparent knowledge that Jonathan's gravestone existed at Falmouth, Anderson in the "Great Migration Begins" estimated Jonathan was b. "say 1621." Due to this birth conflict, I have not added a purported date of birth to this memorial.
In Charles Lathrop Pack's 1930 pub. "Thomas Hatch of Barnstable...", Pack included the following comment:
• The late Edwin T. Hatch, M.D., of Denver, Colorado, after years of research leaves the following note: "I think the mother of Jonathan and Lydia Hatch was related to Isaac Robinson, son of Rev. John Robinson of Leyden..."
That Jonathan Hatch's mother was related to Jonathan's next door neighborhood at Falmouth, Isaac Robinson, is not possible. The author of the comment may have been unduly influenced by inference as several of Jonathan's children married Isaac Robinson's extended family.
On Apr. 11, 1646 at Barnstable, Mass., Jonathan m. Sarah Rowley, dau. of Henry Rowley and Sarah Palmer, b. circa 1630 in England. Sarah (Rowley) Hatch purportedly d. on December 17, 1710, but there is no definitive proof that is correct. They had eleven known children, the first nine of birth record at Barnstable, the last two b. at Falmouth but not of record at Barnstable (Suconnesett, now Falmouth, was attached to Barnstable for administrative purposes due to too few residents until well after all the Hatch children were born):
• i. Mary Hatch, b. July 14, 1648 at Barnstable, was living on Sept. 15, 1705 when included in her father's will, which was witnessed by Mary's husband; m. bef. Sept. 1705 as his 2nd wife, William Weeks, Jr., s. of William, b. circa 1645. He d. Feb. 16, 1715/6 at Falmouth, Mass. William Weeks, Jr. m. 1) on Mar. 16, 1668/9, Mercy Robinson, dau. of Isaac Robinson and Margaret Hanford, bapt. July 4, 1647 at Barnstable, Mass. When both of William's two wives died is unknown, but Mercy Robinson was the mother of all of his children.
• ii. Thomas Hatch, b. Jan. 1, 1649/50 at Barnstable; m. July 22, 1679 at Barnstable, Abigail Codman. Eleven children of record at Falmouth, Mass.
• iii. Capt. Jonathan Hatch, Jr., b. May 17, 1652 at Barnstable; m. Dec. 4, 1676 at Falmouth, Abigail Weeks, the sister of William Weeks, Jr., the future husband of Jonathan's older sister Mary. Seven children of record at Falmouth.
• iv. Joseph Hatch, b. Mar. 7, 1652/3 at Barnstable, d. Feb. 16, 1735/6 at Falmouth, Mass. (g.s., Æ 83); m. Dec. 7, 1683 at Chilmark, Mass., Amy Allen, dau. of Capt. James Allen and Elizabeth Partridge, b. Aug. 14, 1663 at Sandwich, Mass. and d. Feb. 24, 1709/10 at Falmouth (g.s., Æ 47). Ten children of record at Falmouth.
• v. Benjamin Hatch, b. Sept. 7, 1655 at Barnstable, d. before Sept. 1736; m. 1) June 17, 1678, Mercy Hamblin, dau. of James, b. June 15, 1655 at Barnstable. She d. Mar. 6, 1682/3 at Falmouth. He m. 2) Mar. 16, 1682/3 purportedly at Falmouth, Alice Eddy, dau. of John Eddy and Hepzibah Daggett (q.v. Doggett), b. May 3, 1659 at Edgartown, Mass. He m. 3) Feb. 13, 1711/12 at Barnstable, Experience Linnell, dau. of David Linnell and Hannah Shelly, and widow of Jabez Davis. She was b. in 1664 and d. at Barnstable on Dec. 31, 1736. Fifteen children of the family; 3 by 1st wife Mercy and twelve by 2nd wife Alice.
• vi. Nathaniel Hatch, b. June 5, 1657 at Barnstable; purportedly m. at Boston, Mass. on Oct. 9, 1681, Elizabeth Estes. No confirming record available.
• vii. Samuel Hatch, b. Oct. 11, 1659, d. prior to Aug. 8, 1718; m. Lydia Young. Six children of the family at Falmouth.
• viii. Capt. and Dea. Moses Hatch, b. Mar. 4, 1662/3 at Falmouth, but recorded at Barnstable, d. May 20, 1747 at Falmouth; m. 1) May 9, 1686 prob. at Tisbury, Mass., Hepzibah Eddy, dau. of John Eddy and Hepzibah Daggett. He m. 2) Oct. 18, 1699 at Yarmouth, Mass., Elizabeth Thacher, dau. of Col. John Thacher and Rebecca Winslow, b. June 19, 1677 at Yarmouth, Mass. She d. May 18, 1710 at Falmouth, Mass. He m. 3) the widow Hannah Bangs, who d. May 13, 1739 at Falmouth. He m. 4) Mar. 12, 1739/40 at Falmouth, Patience Perry, who survived him. Eight children of the family; five by first wife Hepzibah Eddy, three by second wife Elizabeth Thacher.
• ix. Sarah Hatch, b. Mar. 21, 1664/5 at Falmouth, but recorded at Barnstable, d. July 8, 1732 purportedly at Sandwich, Mass.; m. Nathaniel Wing, s. of Stephen Wing and Oseah Dillingham. He d. November 1722 at Sandwich, Mass. Seven purported children of the family.
• x. Mercy Hatch, b. Apr. 27, 1665 at Falmouth, d. after Jan. 1710/11; m. circa 1690, Nathan Rowley, her 1st cousin, s. of Moses Rowley and Elizabeth Fuller, b. on an unknown date at Falmouth. He d. Jan. 6, 1741/2 at Sharon, Conn. Nine children of the family.
• xi. Lydia Hatch, b. May 16, 1669 at Falmouth and d. in her youth December 1, 1681.
Thomas Hatch (1596 - 1662)
Grace Hatch (____ - 1662)
Sarah Rowley Hatch (1630 - 1710)*
Joseph Hatch (1654 - 1736)*
Benjamin Hatch (1656 - 1711)*
Samuel Hatch (1659 - 1718)*
Moses Hatch (1662 - 1747)*
Died Dec. 1710
Aged 84 Years
Settler of Falmouth
Friend of Indians
Erected May 25, 1991
Falmouth Old Burying Ground
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Tom Cummings
Record added: Oct 15, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5846925