|Birth: ||Feb. 2, 1925|
|Death: ||May 4, 1937|
Adam Corpening was a son of Henry (aka Harry) Corpening and Lorenza Corpening.
When he was 12 years old, he was left in charge of his 2-year-old sister Mary Louise and a 4-year-old cousin. According to newspaper accounts of the incident, while Adam was preparing a meal, his baby sister found a can of gasoline or kerosene and set it on the hot stove. It exploded. The little girl was trapped in a corner of the room, escape cut off by the flames. Adam crossed through and carried her to safety. Although his own clothes were on fire, he took the other child outside and returned to try to put out the fire before it destroyed the Corpenings' humble home. Neighbors arrived to help, and Adam was taken to the hospital with burns on his thighs, chest, and arms. The little house was saved.
Adam was hospitalized for two months, suffering great pain before he finally succumbed to complications.
Rest in Peace, Adam Corpening, Hero.
*note: Grave is unmarked, or may have been moved elsewhere
sources: county birth and death records; accounts from the Morganton News Herald, March 3, 1937; obituary.
Shiloh A.M.E. Church Cemetery
North Carolina, USA
Created by: Armantia
Record added: Mar 01, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 24970223
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.