Inscription: Co A 1st N.H. H.A.
The unit deployed to Washington D.C. where it took part in repulsing Early's attack on Washington in July of 1864.
Biographical data and notes:
- Born in Gorham, ME
- Residing in Portsmouth, NH at time of enlistment
- 19 years of age at time of enlistment
- Enlisted on Jul 13 1863 as Private
- Enlisted into 1st Heavy Artillery (New Hampshire) on Jul 18 1863
- Discharged due to disability from 1st Heavy Artillery (New Hampshire) on Aug 7 1865 at Portsmouth Harbor (Disch, Fort Constitution)
Sources for the above information:
- Register of Soldiers and Sailors of New Hampshire 1861-65, (1895)
Note: Research is ongoing to determine who he is. One "possiblity" may be Amos B. Smith who on the 1860 census was living in Mason, Hillsborough, NH age 21 (b. ab't 1839).
1886: Lowell City directory:
Smith, Amos B died 22 April 1885 - could this be he?
A Florence Lane, widow (note no "Mc" in surname) filed for Amos' Civil War pension listing Florence E., Gdn and a Daisy E. Smith is listed in Mass. Probate Index as:
Daisy E. Smith Lowell 1888 Guardian record # 24360
1900: Lowell, MA Ward 3, Middlesex, MA Census shows:
William McLane 55 Head
Florence E McLane ae 43 DOB: May 1857 marr 13 yr b. NH
Daisy E Smith 15 StepDaughter b Dec 1884 in MA
Rebeca McLane 80 Mother b Aug 1819
Buried in the lot next to Pvt Smith is Florence E. McLane. Is Florence Lane & Florence McLane one and the same?
Headstone was supplied by Sheldon & Sons, West Rutland, VT and the contract date was 21 August 1888.
A heartfelt thank you to Jaime of Brownie Troop 20321 and her grandmother, Eileen, for cleaning this stone.
Florence E McLane (1857 - 1932)
Forest Hill Cemetery
New Hampshire, USA
Plot: Section M Lot 24?
Created by: D. J. Goldman
Record added: Oct 13, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 30548614