|Birth: ||Jan., 1832|
Inscription: Corp. Co. H 22nd RGT. Mass. Vol.
According to the 1890 Veterans Schedule, George enlisted on 06 September 1861 and was discharged on 16 October 1864 having served 3 yrs 1 mo & 10 dys.
Husband of Harriet Chesley. Also on this stone are the names of two of their children, Virginia F. and Howard S.
He was listed as a blacksmith on the 1900 census with he and his wife having had 3 children with one living. They had another son, George H who was age 20 in 1880 and was a musician.
Biographical data and notes:
- Last known address: Haverhill, MA
- Residing in Haverhill, MA at time of enlistment
- 29 years of age at time of enlistment
- Enlisted on Sep 6 1861 as Corporal
- Enlisted into H Company, 22nd Infantry (Massachusetts) on Sep 6 1861
- Mustered out from 22nd Infantry (Massachusetts) on Oct 17 1864 at Boston, MA
Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) membership:
- Major Howe Post (Massachusetts Post No. 47), Haverhill, Massachusetts
Sources for the above information:
- Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the Civil War, (Adjutant General)
- GAR Dept of Massachusetts 1866-1947 (Sargent), (Heritage Books, Inc)
Note: In 2007 this stone was so dirty that one could barely read the dates. October 2008: A heartfelt thank you to Jenny of Girl Scout Troop 10298 and her Mother, Paula for cleaning this stone.
Forest Hill Cemetery
New Hampshire, USA
Plot: Section M Lot 31
Created by: D. J. Goldman
Record added: Dec 29, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 23624280