|Birth: ||Jul. 2, 1706|
|Death: ||Dec. 22, 1781|
CAPT. BISHOP S CO. // 73 yrs // French & Indian War
Stephen Wilcox son of Joesph Wilcox, was born July 12 1706, in Killingworth, died there December 22 1781. He was one of the grantees of Newport, New Hampshire, in 1761, and was appointed on a committee of four at Killingsworth December 25, 1765 to allot the lands to grantees and this duty was performed July 6, 1765 at Charleston, New Hampshire.
He was one of a committe chosen on the second Tuesday of March 1765, to open a cart road to newport at the west end of the lots as was laid out and at the same meeting was appointed to go to Portsmounth to get an extension of the conditions of the town charter.
His sons Jesse, Uriah, and Phinehas and daughter Lydi, wife of Samuel Hurd, came to Newport after the lots were laid out and settled on the fathers grant, each being given 300 acres of land. The firwst meeting of the proprietors of the new was held October 13, 1767 at the house of Jesse Wilcox, and Stephen Wilcox was the moderator, and appointed on a committee to assign lots. He seems to have returned to his home in Connecticut.
He Married, May 10 1733, Mary Pierson, born May 10 1713, died December 13, 1795.
Children born in Killingworth:
- Mary Wilcox (Twin) B-Sep 7, 1734, Married ---- Hurd
- Lydia Wilcox (Twin) B-Sep 7, 1734. Married Samuel Hurd
- Hepsibeth B-July 3, 1736. Died June 7, 1816
- Sarah B-Jan 6,1738. Died April 17, 1819
- Stephen B-Jan 8, 1740. Died Jan 20, 1823
- Asa B-Dec 17, 1741. Died at Havana in the French War, September 10, 1761 at the age of 26
- Jesse B- Oct 5, 1744. Died March 12, 1823. Married Thankful Stevens June 11, 1767
- Phineas B-Jan 13, 1747. Died at Newport 1819.
- Uriah B-March 13, 1749.
- Eunice B-June 14, 1751
- Mabel B-Dec 5, 1752
- Joseph B-Jan 22, 1755. Died Jan 17, 1817.
- Nathan B-Nov 5, 1758. Died March 23, 1813
Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts By William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams Published by Lewis historical publishing company, 1910 Vol II pg 1237
Joseph Wilcox (1659 - 1747)
Hannah Kelsey Wilcox (1668 - 1730)
Mary Pierson Wilcox (1713 - 1795)
Lydia Wilcox Hurd (1734 - 1798)*
Jesse Wilcox (1744 - 1823)*
Indian River Cemetery
Maintained by: Michael S Day
Originally Created by: Kimberlie Frye
Record added: Jul 08, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 39229755