|Death: ||Nov. 8, 1862|
Donald Grant Jr., the son of Donald Grant Sr. and his wife Elizabeth Cummings, was born in 1781/2 in New York (per 1850 and 1860 censuses. Some early histories on the Delaware County Genealogy site indicate he was born 1777 at sea.) He married Sarah Ann Stilson, probably the daughter of Jeremiah Stilson. She was born 31 Dec 1784 in Connecticut and died 11 Jan 1855 in Stamford, Delaware, New York. He was in the Delaware County Militia as an Ensign 25 April 1807 and a Capt 4 Jul 1809. He was called Capt. Donald. He was a taxpayer in 1805, and continued one for nearly 60 years. He resided about two miles south of Stamford village, on the road leading to the Town Plot. He suffered a stroke on 16 August 1862, made his will 17 August 1862, and died 8 Nov 1862 at Stamford at 82 years. His will dated 17 August 1862 contained bequests to:
1. grandson Wesley, son of daughter Eliza, deceased, and Maransa Sandford
2. granddaughter Frances Decker
3. daughter Isabella Odell
4. son Jeremiah Grant
5. son James ? Grant
6. son David Grant
My friend William B. Champlin
John W Stewart of Stamford
Chauncey B. Heinman of Stamford
His will was contested and the will book contains 29 pages of testimony by family members and friends. Testimony indicated that during his life he had given land to his sons Donald William and Angus.
1. Donald William Grant, 1808 - 1862
2. David Grant 1809 – 1871.
3. Eliza Ann Grant, 1813 - 1848.
4. James K. Grant, born in 1815 married the widow, Elizabeth Rifenburg, born in 1825, who had a daughter Mary by her first marriage. They are listed in the 1860 census with his father Donald but Elizabeth and daughter Mary are in the 1870 census and 1880 census alone so James died or separated from his family prior to 1870.
5. Fanny Grant, born in 1817 and died 5 Jun 1859 in Kortright, Delaware, New York. She married Richard Decker.
6. Angus Grant, born 8 Feb 1818, married Emily Odell 14 July 1844 in Stamford; he died 21 February 1859 in Stamford. They had five children.
7. Isabella Grant, born 1821 and died 29 Jan 1883 at Hobart, Delaware, New York. She married John K. Odell, a farmer and dealer in neat cattle. He served four years as justice, and during the time married twenty-two couples. He was born at Harpersfield August 3rd, 1821. He lived eight years in Ulster county, N. Y. They had two children.
8. Jeremiah Grant, 1826 - 1888.
Sarah Ann Stilson Grant (____ - 1855)
Donald William Grant (____ - 1862)*
David Grant (1809 - 1871)*
Elizabeth Ann Grant Sanford (1813 - 1848)*
Jeremiah Grant (1826 - 1888)*
New York, USA
Maintained by: Susan Montague Lundt
Originally Created by: karen cuccinello
Record added: May 17, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 110670444