|Birth: ||Oct. 29, 1607|
|Death: ||Jun. 16, 1673|
New Haven County
William Tuttle, s. of Symon Tuttle and Isabel Wells, bp. of record Dec. 26, 1607 at Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England [Parish Rec.]. He d. suddenly in early June 1673 at New Haven, Conn. leaving no known will. By 1631 in England, William m. Elizabeth, b. circa 1609, who d. Dec. 31, 1684 at New Haven, Conn., Æ 76.
In April 1635 William Tuttle and wife Elizabeth and their first three children (John, Ann and Thomas); William Tuttle's older brother Richard, Richard's wife Ann (nee Taylor) and their three living children (Anna [i.e., Hannah (Tuttle)(Pantry) Welles], John and Rebecca); William and Richard Tuttle's widowed mother Isabel; and William and Richard's brother John, his wife Joan (nee Antrobus), their four living children, along with wife Joan's three children by her 1st husband Thomas Lawrence and Joan's widowed mother Joan (Arnold) Antrobus; all left England via the Port of London aboard the ship Planter, Nicholas Trarice master. They arrived at Boston, Mass. by July 1635. Richard Tuttle and his family settled at Boston, and John Tuttle and wife Joan settled at Ipswich, Mass.
By late 1639 William settled at New Haven, Conn. In the 1640s William was involved in the failed attempt by inhabitants of the New Haven Colony to establish a separate colony on the Delaware River at present-day Salem County, NJ. William's homestead on the Green at New Haven would eventually become part of Collegiate Square and location of the first building of Yale University.
William and wife Elizabeth were originally interred at New Haven's Cemetery on the Green, William having no known gravestone. In 1821 all burials at the Green, including other members of the Tuttle family, were relocated to New Haven's Grove Street Cemetery.
The children of William Tuttle and wife Elizabeth are:
• i. John Tuttle, bp. Dec. 8, 1631 at Ringstead, Northampton, England, d. Nov. 12, 1683 at New Haven, Conn.; m. Nov. 8, 1653 at New Haven, Catherine Lane, dau. of John and Sarah Lane of Milford, Conn. Ten children of the family.
• ii. Ann Tuttle, bp. Jan. 20, 1632/3 at Ringstead, Northampton, England, called "Ann, age 2 and a qrtr" in the April 1635 manifest of the ship Planter, d. aft. 1690 poss. at Stratford, Conn.; m. 1) Joshua Judson, s. of William and Grace Judson. He d. in 1661 at Stratford, Conn. leaving three infant children. Ann m. 2) Dec. 10, 1662 at Stratford, John Hurd, s. of Adam Hurd, b. likely in England. Seven children of the Hurd family. [see The American Genealogist, 30:7 for proof regarding the correct identity of William and Elizabeth Tuttle's dau. Ann (Tuttle)(Judson) Hurd.]
• iii. Thomas Tuttle, bp Jan. 4, 1634/5 at Ringstead, Northampton, England, d. Oct. 19, 1710 at New Haven, Conn.; m. May 21, 1661 at New Haven, Hannah Powell, dau. of Thomas and Priscilla Powell, b. in Aug. 1641 at New Haven. She d. Oct. 15, 1710 at New Haven. Nine children of the family.
• iv. Jonathan Tuttle, bp July 2, 1637 at Boston, Mass. [1st Chh. Rec.], d. in Oct. 1705 at New Haven; m. circa 1663, Rebecca Bell, dau. of Lieut. Francis and Rebecca Bell, b. circa Aug. 1643 at Stamford, Conn. She d. May 2, 1676 at New Haven. Six children of the family.
• v. David Tuttle, bp. Apr. 7, 1639 at Boston, Mass. [1st Chh. Rec.], d. an invalid and unmarried in 1693 at New Haven, Conn.
• vi. Joseph Tuttle, bp. Nov. 22, 1640 at New Haven, Conn., d. Sept. 22, 1690 at New Haven; m. May 2, 1667 at New Haven, Hannah Munson, dau. of Capt. Thomas and Joanna Munson, bp. June 11, 1648 at New Haven. Nine children of the family She m. 2) Aug. 21, 1694 at Guilford, Conn., Nathan Bradley and d. Nov. 30, 1695 at Guilford.
• vii. Sarah Tuttle, bp. in Apr. 1642 at New Haven, Conn., d. Nov. 17, 1676 at Stamford, Conn., having been murdered by her brother Benjamin; m. Nov. 22, 1663 at New Haven, John Slason, s. of George, b. May 14, 1641 at Sandwich, Mass. Four children of the family.
• viii. Elizabeth Tuttle, bp. Nov. 9, 1645 at New Haven, Conn., d. after 1691 at an unknown place of unknown circumstances; m. Nov. 19, 1667 at New Haven, Richard Edwards, only child of William Edwards and Agnes Harris, b. May 1, 1647 at Hartford, Conn. During her marriage to Richard she gave birth to a child by another man, then had six children by husband Richard before Richard was awarded a divorce in 1691. Richard subsequently m. 2) Mar 2, 1691/2 at Hartford, Mary Talcott, dau. of Lt. Col. John Talcott, Jr. and Helena Wakeman, b. Apr. 26, 1661 at Hartford, and had six more children.
• ix. Simon Tuttle, bp. Mar. 28, 1647 at New Haven, Conn., d. Apr. 16, 1719 at Wallingford, Conn.; had a wife named Abigail, whose origins remain unknown. She d. in Aug. 1722 at Wallingford, Conn. Four children of the family.
• x. Benjamin Tuttle, bp. Oct. 29, 1648 at New Haven; was unmarried and d. June 13, 1677 by means of execution in Stamford, Conn. for murdering his married sister Sarah.
• xi. Mercy Tuttle, b. Apr. 27, 1650 at New Haven, Conn., was living at Wallingford, Conn. in 1695; m. May 2, 1667 at New Haven, Samuel Brown, s. of Francis Brown and Mary Edwards, bp. Aug. 7, 1645 at New Haven. He d. Nov 4, 1691 at Wallingford, Conn. Five children of the family, including a 17 year old son killed by Mercy in 1691 in a fit of insanity.
• xii. Nathaniel Tuttle, b. Feb 25, 1652/3 at New Haven, Conn., d. Aug. 20, 1721 at Woodbury, Conn.; m. Aug. 10, 1682 at New Haven, Sarah How, dau. of Ephraim How and Abigail Hough, b. Jan. 25, 1653/4 at New Haven. She d. in Nov. 1743 at Woodbury, Conn. Five children of the family.
Symon Tuttle (____ - 1630)
Isabel Wells Tuttle (1565 - 1635)
Elizabeth Tuttle (1609 - 1684)*
John Tuttle (1631 - 1683)*
Ann Tuttle Hurd (1633 - ____)*
Thomas Tuttle (1634 - 1710)*
Jonathan Tuttle (1637 - 1705)*
Joseph Tuttle (1640 - 1690)*
Elizabeth Tuttle Edwards (1645 - ____)*
Simon Tuttle (1647 - 1719)*
Benjamin Tuttle (1648 - 1677)*
Richard Tuttle (1583 - 1640)*
Dorothy Tuttle Bill (1592 - 1638)*
John Tuttle (1596 - 1656)*
William Tuttle (1607 - 1673)
Grove Street Cemetery
New Haven County
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Earl R. Loose
Record added: Feb 17, 2004
Find A Grave Memorial# 8395022