|Birth: ||Dec. 6, 1841|
|Death: ||Mar. 27, 1898|
Emeline BOYKIN, "Em," was the eldest child of
• Barton L. BOYKIN (son of John BOYKIN Jr. & Catherine SHEPPARD) &
• Sarah Emily ENECKS (daughter of William ENECKS & Sarah Duke BRADLEY, and sister of William Robert ENECKS I).
When Emeline was a teenager, typhoid (or another disease) took both Emeline's father in 1858 & her mother in January of 1860. At the enumeration of the census in June of 1860, Emeline still maintained their family household, which included five of her six siblings, born 1845-1857:
• John Wesley BOYKIN, "Big",
• Josephine M. BOYKIN, "Jo",
• Virginia Matilda BOYKIN BRYAN, "Jenny",
• William T. BOYKIN, "Willie", and
• Preston Brooks BOYKIN.
The previous household enumerated that day was that of her uncle, Tobias BOYKIN, who had been appointed administrator for her parents' estates in May of 1860 (and was so in March of 1870); her remaining sister, Sarah Catherine BOYKIN WILLIAMS, "Mesh", lived in Tobias' household in 1850 and 1860. In December of 1861, her uncle John B. BOYKIN (husband of Mary Jane ARCHER) was appointed guardian of her six siblings.
Emeline married George R. LEE Sr. in March of 1861. He enlisted for the Confederate Cause in October of 1861. They were the parents of seven children (born 1862-1882), three of whom died as infants:
• Ida C. LEE, the wife of Abraham Young HUNTER Jr.,
• Willie A. LEE,
• James Wesley LEE, who married Hattie ARCHER,
• George R. LEE Jr., the husband of Sally Hendry RYON,
• Bertha LEE, "Bertie", the wife of William John BOYKIN, "Willie."
• Alfred LEE, and
• Annie LEE.
At the division of her parents' estates in January of 1862, the interests of this new mother (at age 20 years, 1 month) and that of her husband (at age 20 years, 2 months) were represented by her father-in-law, because the two of them were still considered minors. In 1870, two of her siblings, Josephine M. BOYKIN and Preston Brooks BOYKIN, lived with her in her husband's household.
George R. Lee (1841 - 1906)*
Ida Lee Hunter (1862 - 1957)*
Willie A. Lee (1869 - 1871)*
James Wesley Lee (1872 - 1927)*
George R. Lee (1875 - 1920)*
Bertie Lee Boykin (1877 - 1947)*
Alfred Lee (1879 - 1879)*
Hessie Lee Beard (1880 - 1966)*
Annie Lee (1882 - 1882)*
Wife of George R. Lee ...
She passed through glory's morning gate
And walked in Paradise.
Created by: jrpv
Record added: Jan 31, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 24292718
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.