Jane Hatcher was the daughter of William and Mary (_____) Hatcher (see accompanying map and notation for location of William Hatcher's land). Much genealogical research has gone into discovering Jane's maiden name. Presently, circumstantial evidence tends to indicate that it was "Hatcher". In her will dated 07 Dec 1709, she left a damask gown and petticoat to "my sister Hatcher", presumably the wife of one of William Hatcher's sons, in other words her brother's wife.
Her birth about 1640 is confirmed by a 1688 deposition stating her age as about 48 years (Henrico Records Vol. 1688-97, p25).
Jane Hatcher (age about 16 Y/O) married first William Branch (age about 31 Y/O) about 1656 at Henrico Co., VA. He died about 1660.
Jane (Hatcher) Branch married secondly, William Baugh, Jr. about 1661 at Henrico Co., VA. He died in 1676.
Jane (Hatcher) Branch Baugh married thirdly, Abell Gower, in 1677 at Henrico Co., VA. He died in 1689.
William Baugh, Jr.'s death date prior to August 1678 is shown by an Henrico Co., VA Orphan's Court record of August 1678, in which Abell Gower (third husband of Jane Hatcher) gives an account of cattle belonging to his step children, Mary and Priscilla Baugh, orphans of Mr. William Baugh (Jr.), deceased (2nd husband of Jane Hatcher), and of William and John Branch, orphans of Mr. William Branch, deceased (1st husband of Jane Hatcher). (This indicates that the third husband (Abell Gower) of Jane (Hatcher) Branch, Baugh, Gower states that the children of her first husband (William Branch, deceased) are William and John Branch. It also indicates that the children of Jane and her second husband (William Baugh, Jr. deceased) are Mary and Priscilla Baugh.(See Henrico Co., Orphans Court Bk. 1677-1739, p2)
01 Oct 1696 Gift Deed- "John Cocke, Jr., son of Richard Cocke, Sr., of County & Parish of Henrico, has taken to wife Obedience Branch, eldest daughter of my son John Branch, late of Kingsland in same county, plantar, dec'd, Now I, Jane Gower of Kingsland in same county and parish, widow, for love and affection, give to said John Cocke and Obedience his wife, all that plantation given me by my father in law Christopher Branch, late of Kingsland, dec'd, being land where my son John dwelt, now in tenure of Robert Grigg, on south side of James River, 100 acres, bounded by Thomas Branch and Mr. Abell Gower orphan." (Henrico County, Va. Deeds, Vol. III, 1677-1705, p. 97)
The will of Jane Gower of the Parish and County of Henrico dated 07 Dec 1709 was proved in Henrico County January 1710, bequests went to: grandson William Cox and my daughter, Mary (Baugh) Cox all of my outlands; granddaughters Obedience Turpin and Pricilla Wilkinson, to be equally divided between them the land I now live on called the Great Stone; grandson William Farrar (IV), feather bed, rug, pair blankets, pair sheets, pillow and boulster; grandson Abel Farrar feather bed, boulster, pillow, blanket, rug, pair sheets; granddaughter Mary Womack four silver spoons; granddaughter Mary Wilkinson four silver spoons; granddaughter Obedience Turpin four silver spoons; granddaughter Martha Wilkerson chest of drawers, oval table, diaper table cloth, one dozen napkins; to Priscilla Farrar bed boulster, blanket, rug; to John Pike bed he lies on with furniture thereto belonging; to William Womack two breeding sows; daughter Mary Cox all stock except two cows; granddaughter Priscilla Farrar silver porringer; my sister Hatcher damask gown and petticoat; grandson Abell Farrar iron pot, silver tumbler, table standing in the chamber, two pewter dishes; granddaughter Priscilla Farrar iron pot, table with drawer in it, pewter dish; grandson William Farrar (IV) two pewter dishes, my biggest tumbler (silver); granddaughter Judith Womack box iron and heaters; daughter Mrs. Mary Cox residue of estate and she named as executrix. (Henrico Co. Records, Will & Deed Book "1710-1714", pp35-36)
The children of William and Jane (Hatcher) Branch were:
1) William Branch, Jr., b. Abt. 1657, d. 1687 without issue, m. Jane Ward
2) John Branch b. 1659, d. 1688, m. Martha Griegg
3) Elizabeth Branch m. Thomas Parham, Jr.(This child of William Branch and Jane (Hatcher) Branch was added by "Georgia Girl". I haven't been able to confirm this information.
The children of William and Jane (Hatcher) Baugh, Jr. were:
1) John Baugh b. Abt. 1661 in Henrico Co., VA
2) Mary Baugh b. Abt. 1662 in Henrico Co., VA, d. Abt. 1710, m. Henry Ayscough
3) Katherine Baugh b. 1663 in Henrico Co., VA
4) Priscilla Baugh b. Abt. 1664 in Henrico Co., VA., d. 1706 in Farrars Island, Henrico Co., VA
5) James Baugh b 1665 in Henrico Co., VA
6) Thomas Baugh b. 1667 in Henrico Co., VA
7) William Baugh III b. Abt. 1668 Henrico Co., VA, d. 1676 Henrico Co., VA.
The child of Abell (Abel) and Jane (Hatcher) Gower was:
1) Tabitha Gower b. Abt. 1678 Henrico Co., VA, d. Abt. 1701 Henrico Co., VA, m. Robert Grigg about 1700 (Marriage license granted to Robert Grigg on 20 Oct 1700 to marry Tabitha, orphan of Abel Gower) (Tabitha died without issue and not mentioned in her mother's will as she predeceased her)
Jane (Hatcher) Branch Baugh Gower was buried in Henrico Co., VA in an unknown grave site on "Big Stone", the plantation she names in her will.
1) "The family of Bartholomew Stovall: Eight generations of Stovalls in England and America" by Neil D Thompson, 1993, p204
2)"Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5" by John Frederick Dorman, 4th Ed., Vol. 1, 2007, pp367, 930
3) "Cavaliers and Pioneers. Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants" Vol. I by Nell Marion Nugent, 1983, p549 ("Great Stone" see will of Jane Gower).
4) "Colonial Wills of Henrico County, Virginia" Part I, 1654-1737, by Benjamin B. Weisiger III, 1976, p82.
5) "The Farrar's Island Family and Its English Ancestry" by Alvahn Holmes, 1972, pp146,147.
Bio by Gresham Farrar.
William Hatcher (1613 - 1680)
William Branch (1625 - 1660)
William Baugh (____ - 1676)
Abel Gower (1640 - 1689)
Priscilla Baugh Farrar (1664 - 1706)*
William Baugh (1668 - 1678)*
Henry Hatcher (1637 - 1677)*
Jane Hatcher Branch (1640 - 1710)
Specifically: Location of burial is unknown at this time.
Maintained by: Gresham Farrar
Originally Created by: Georgia Girl
Record added: Mar 05, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 106210163