|Death: ||Feb. 17, 1131, France|
Countess of Leicester, Countess of Surrey
Third daughter of Hugh Magnus and Adelaide of Vermandois, granddaughter of King Henry I of France and Anne of Kiev, Herbert IV, Count of Vermandois, and Adele of Valois. She was the heiress of the county of Vermandois and descendant of Charlemagne.
Wife of Sir Robert de Beaumont, Count of Meulan, the son of Roger de Beaumont and Adeline of Meulan; Isabel became the Countess of Leicester. They married about 1096 and had three sons and at least five daughters:
* Emma b 1101, probably died young
* Waleran IV de Beaumont, Count of Meulan, twin
* Robert de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Leicester, twin
* Hugh de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Bedford
* Adeline, wife of Hugh Montfort & Richard de Granville
* Aubree, wife of Hugh II of Châteauneuf-en-Thimerais
* Maud, wife of William Lovel
* Isabel, mistress of King Henry I, wife of Gilbert de Clare and mother of Richard Strongbow & wife of Hervé de Montmorency
Secondly, the wife of William de Warenne, son of William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey and his first wife Gundred; Isabel became the Countess of Surrey. They married in 1118 and had three sons and two daughters:
* William de Warenne, 3rd Earl of Surrey
Ralph de Warenne
* Reginald de Warenne
* Gundrada de Warenne, wife of Roger de Beaumont& William de Lancaster
* Ada de Warenne, wife of Henry of Scotland, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon, mother King Malcolm IV and King William I 'the Lion'
Sir Robert de Beaumont, described as being "the wisest man in his time between London and Jerusalem", and aged over fifty was determined to marry Isabel, aged about eleven. Bishop Ivo dismissed their request based on their being within a few degrees of kindred. Isabel's father was able to sway Bishop Ivo, and saw his daughter married by April of 1096 when he left on a crusade.
In 1115, Isabel was either carried away or willingly abducted by William de Warrene, revealing they had been lovers for some time. They were unable to marry until the death of Sir Robert, which occurred in 1118.
The Beaumont sons were on opposite sides of support for King Stephen and Queen Matilda, but were not enemies.
Sources vary on her death, reported as 1131 to outliving William who died in 1138.
Hugues de France (1057 - 1102)
Robert de Beaumont (1049 - 1118)
William II de Warenne (1065 - 1138)
Waleran de Beaumont (1104 - 1166)*
Robert de Beaumont (1104 - 1168)*
Reginald de Warenne (1113 - 1179)*
William de Warenne (1118 - 1148)*
Ada De Warenne De Huntingdon (1120 - 1178)*
Isabel Of Vermandois Beaumont de Warenne (1081 - 1131)
Raoul I de Vermandois (1094 - 1152)*
East Sussex, England
Maintained by: Anne Shurtleff Stevens
Originally Created by: Jerry Ferren
Record added: Mar 12, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 49615771