|Birth: ||Sep. 14, 1811|
North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Nov. 12, 1853|
Nancy V. Langston, dau. of William Langston and Mary Yarbrough, b. Sept. 14, 1811 at Union County, SC. She d. Nov. 12, 1853 at Paradise Twp, Coles County, IL.
On Nov. 16, 1826 at Lincoln County, TN, Nancy m. as his 1st wife, John "Jacky" Ellis, s. of Jesse Ellis and Jane "Jennie" Elliott, b. May 19, 1806 at Jefferson (that part now Hamblen) County, TN. They had ten children and just before the birth of their fifth child in Nov. 1836, the family began relocating from Lincoln County, TN to Coles County in northeast Illinois. The children, the eldest four b. at Lincoln County, TN, the fifth child while in transit from TN to IL, and the rest at Paradise Twp, Coles County, IL, are:
• i. Elizabeth Jane Ellis, b. Dec. 8, 1827, d. aft. Apr. 1910 prob. at Fort Worth, TX; m. Jan. 8, 1849 at Coles County, IL, George William Cartmell, a veteran of the US-Mexican War of 1846-1848. Two children of the family.
• ii. William L. Ellis, b. Apr. 2, 1830, d. unm. in 1849-1850 while in transit to the California gold fields and bur. along the Humboldt River.
• iii. Willis Ellis, b. Aug. 8, 1831, d. in 1850 soon after reaching the California gold fields.
• iv. Mary Ann Ellis, b. Oct. 16, 1833, d. young.
• v. Sarah Catherine Ellis, b. Nov. 17, 1836 at Peoria, IL while the family was in transit from TN to IL, d. May 22, 1895 at Rhetta, Johnson County, TX; m. 1) Jan. 1, 1856 at Coles County, IL, William A. Keller who soon died; m. 2) July 19, 1858 at Ellis County, TX as his 1st wife, John Percy Casstevens, s. of Thomas and Hester Massey, b. Apr. 18, 1836 at Lincoln County, TN He d. Dec. 23, 1919 at Rhetta, Johnson County, TX. Seventeen (that's 17!) children of the marriage.
• vi. Jesse N. Ellis, b. Mar. 1, 1838, the first of the children b. at Coles County, IL, d. young.
• vii. James W. Ellis, b. Nov. 2, 1839; he is likely the James Ellis who m. Dec. 4, 1860, Sarah E. McCoy, at Ellis County, TX.
• viii. John Pleasant Ellis, b. Sept. 10, 1841, d. Dec. 17, 1929 at Tarrant County, TX; m. Sept. 5, 1865 at Ellis County, TX, Mary Jane Slayback by whom he had one child; m. 2) Laura Matthews by whom he had four children, and m. 3) Emily Rogers, by whom he had no children. She d. Apr. 8, 1912 at Mansfield, Tarrant County, TX. He served with Co. E. of the 12th Texas Confederate Cavalry during the Civil War.
• ix. Richard N. Ellis, b. Sept. 11, 1843, d. Sept. 11, 1861 of measles while a Confederate soldier in the Civil War.
• x. Rachel Margaret Ellis, b. Jan. 31, 1846, d. Aug. 1, 1892 at Redlands on the north bank of the Arkansas River in Cherokee Indian Territory, now Sequoyah County, OK; m. bef. Aug. 1861 at Mansfield, TX, William Henry Southerland, s. William Southerland and Sarah Jane Gibson, b. circa 1836-37 at Indiana. He d. circa 1900 at Keokuk Falls in Oklahoma Territory, now Pottawatomie County, OK. Nine children of the family.
William Langston (1787 - 1859)
Mary Yarborough Langston (1787 - 1852)
John Ellis (1806 - 1895)
Sarah Catherine Ellis Casstevens (1836 - 1895)*
John Pleasant Ellis (1841 - 1929)*
Catharine Langston Crockett (1809 - 1890)*
Nancy V. Langston Ellis (1811 - 1853)
Martha Langston Curry (1814 - 1845)**
Sarah Elizabeth Langston Curry (1827 - 1898)**
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Mary Crawford
Record added: Aug 21, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 75260961
Rest in Peace, ancestral Grandmother of my children|
Added: Sep. 8, 2012