|Death: ||Oct. 31, 1147|
Robert de Caen, Robert FitzRoy, Robert of Gloucester, 1st Earl of Gloucester. Chief military supporter of his half sister, Matilda.
Illegitimate son of King Henry I Beauclerc and possibly Sybilla Corbet, born about 1090 at Caen, Normandy. Grandson of William the Conqueror and Mathilda of Flanders. His mother is still debated.
He married Mabel FitzHamon, daughter of Robert FitzHamon, Earl of Gloucester and Sybil de Montgomery. They married in 1122, their marriage contract written before 1119 and had the following children:
* William FitzRobert, 2nd Earl of Gloucester
* Roger FitzRobert, Bishop of Worcester
* Hamon FitzRobert, killed at the siege of Toulouse
* Philip FitzRobert, Lord of Cricklade
* Richard FitzRobert, Lord of Creully
* Matilda FitzRobert, wife of Ranulf de Gernon, 4th Earl of Chester
* Mabel FitzRobert, wife of Aubrey de Vere
* Richard FitzRobert, Sire of Creully
Robert had four illegitimate children:
* Richard FitzRobert, Bishop of Bayeux, his mother was Isabel de Dourves
* Robert FitzRobert, Castellan of Gloucester
* Mabel FitzRobert, wife of Gruffud, Lord Senghenydd, ancestors of President Franklin Pierce
* Son who had a son, Thomas
After the disaster of the White Ship, he was made Earl of Gloucester. Robert supported his sister against King Stephen, and when the King and Robert were captured and then exchanged for each other, destroying any chances of Matilda becoming Queen of England.
He died on 31 October 1147 at Bristol Castle, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, from a fever.
Some sources says he was buried at Tewkesbury Abbey, another says St James Priory, which he founded.
King Henry de Normandie (1068 - 1135)
Mabel FitzHamon (1090 - 1157)*
William FitzRobert (1116 - 1183)*
Maud de Caen (1120 - 1189)*
Robert Fitzrobert (1120 - 1170)*
Matilda of Perche (1086 - 1120)*
Robert de Caen (1090 - 1147)
Sybilla of Normandy (1092 - 1122)*
Richard of Lincoln (1094 - 1120)*
Matilda of England (1102 - 1167)*
William Adelin de Normandie (1103 - 1120)*
Reginald de Dunstanville (1105 - 1175)*
St. James Priory
Bristol Unitary Authority
Created by: Anne Shurtleff Stevens
Record added: Feb 15, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 85015940
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.