|Birth: ||Jun. 5, 1642|
South Yorkshire, England
|Death: ||Jan. 16, 1729|
Dea. Thomas Bingham, s. of Thomas Bingham and Anne Fenton, was bapt. June 5, 1642 at the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul at Sheffield in Yorkshire, England. He d. at Windham, Conn. on Jan. 16, 1729/30, Æ 88.
Thomas' father was a master cutler and was buried at Sheffield on Feb. 12, 1648/9 and his youngest sister Mary was buried at Sheffield on June 16, 1651. At what time his mother remarried to William Backus (called Backhouse at Sheffield), also a master cutler at Sheffield, is not of record. But, Thomas, his mother Anne and stepfather William Backus, along with at least five Backus step-siblings, arrived at Saybrook, Conn. by the mid-1650s.
On Dec 12, 1666 at Norwich, Conn., Thomas Bingham m. Mary Rudd, dau. of Jonathan Rudd of Saybrook, Conn., b. at Saybrook betw. 1648 and 1649. She d. at Windham, Conn. on Aug. 5, 1726, Æ 78. They had the following eleven children who are all recorded at Norwich, Conn.
• i. Thomas Bingham, b. Dec. 11, 1667, d. at Norwich on Apr. 1, 1710, Æ 33; m. Feb. 17, 1691/2 at Norwich, Conn., Hannah Backus, dau. of Lieut. William Backus, Jr. and second wife Elizabeth Pratt, b. circa 1675. Nine children of the family. Following Thomas Bingham's death, Hannah m. 2) Mar. 4, 1711/2 at Norwich as his second wife, Daniel Tracy, s. of Lieut. Thomas Tracy and Ann Peck, b. 1652 at Saybrook, Conn. and d. at Norwich on June 29, 1728, Æ 77, "killed instantly by falling from the framework of a bridge that had just been suspended over Shetucket river." There were two children of this marriage. Hannah m. 3) at an unknown date as his 2nd wife, Capt Samuel Griswold, s. of Lieut. Francis and Sarah Griswold, b. Sept. 1665 at Norwich and d. there on Dec. 2, 1740, Æ 76. There were no children of this marriage. The widow Hannah (Backus) (Bingham) (Tracy) Griswold d. of record at Norwich, Conn. on Feb. 25, 1752.
• ii. Abel Bingham, b. June 25, 1669, d. Mar. 25, 1745 at Windham, Conn., Æ 76; m. May 10, 1694 at Fairfield, Conn., Elizabeth Odell, who date of death is unknown. Nine children of the family, all recorded at Windham, Conn.
• iii. Mary Bingham, b. July 1672, d. Feb. 19, 1747/8 at Windham, Conn., Æ 76; m. Feb. 17, 1691/2 at Norwich, Conn., John Backus, s. of Lieut. William Backus, Jr. and first wife Sarah Charles, b. Feb. 9, 1661/2 at Norwich, Conn. and d. at Windham, Conn. on Mar. 27, 1744, Æ 83. Eight children of the family recorded at Windham.
• iv. Jonathan Bingham, b. Apr. 15, 1674, d. Feb. 28, 1750/1 at Windham, Conn., Æ 77; m. Oct. 28, 1697 at Windham, Ann Huntington, dau. of Christopher Huntington and Ruth Rockwell, b. Oct. 25, 1675 at Norwich, Conn. and d. at Windham, Conn. on Aug. 20, 1756, Æ 81.
• v. Ann Bingham, b. Aug. 1677, d. Aug. 2, 1724 at Windham, Conn., Æ 47; m. June 7, 1699 at Windham as his first wife, Hezekiah Mason, s. of Lieut. Daniel Mason and Margaret Denison, b. May 3, 1677 at Stonington, Conn. Nine children of the family. Following Ann's death, Hezekiah m. 2) Nov. 15, 1725 as her only husband, Sarah Robinson, dau. of Peter Robinson and Mary Manter, b. May 5, 1688 at Tisbury, Mass., Hezekiah dying shortly thereafter at Windham on Dec. 15, 1726, Æ 50. There were no children of this marriage.
• vi. Abigail Bingham, b. Nov. 4, 1678, d. Dec. 25, 1734 at Norwich, Conn., Æ 57; m. Jan. 31, 1705/6 at Norwich as his 1st wife, Daniel Huntington, s. of Dea. Simon Huntington and Sarah Clark, b. Mar. 13, 1675/6 at Norwich and d. there on Sept. 13, 1741, Æ 65. Five children of the family. He m. 2) July 8, 1735 at Norwich, Rachel Walcott of Windham, Conn., by whom he had one known child. Following Daniel Huntington's death, the widow Rachel m. as his second wife, Abigail (Bingham) Huntington's brother Joseph Bingham (see no. x. below).
• vii. Dea. Nathaniel Bingham, b. Oct. 3, 1681, d. Dec. 16, 1754 at Windham, Conn., Æ 74; m. July 25, 1705 at Windham, Conn., Sarah Lobdell, who d. at Windham on June 28, 1763. Three children recorded at Windham.
• viii. Deborah Bingham, b. Dec. 18, 1683, d. Dec. 6, 1735 at Windham, Conn., Æ 52; m. Jan. 26, 1707/8 at Windham, Stephen Tracy, s. of Lieut. John Tracy and Mary Prence, b. circa 1674 prob. at Duxbury, Mass. and d. at Windham, Conn. on Dec. 19, 1769, Æ 96. Six children of the family.
• ix. Capt. Samuel Bingham, b. Mar. 28, 1685, d. Mar. 1, 1760 at Windham, Conn., Æ 75; m. 1) Jan. 5, 1707/8 at Windham, Faith Ripley, dau. of Joshua Ripley, Esq. and Hannah Bradford, and gr.granddau. of Gov. William Bradford of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony, b. Sept. 20, 1686 at Hingham, MMass. She d. Feb 11, 1720/1 at Windham, Conn., Æ 35. Five children of the family. Samuel m. 2) Nov. 23, 1721 at Windham, Elizabeth Manning, dau. of Samuel Manning and Deborah Spaulding, b. Nov. 21, 1701 purportedly at Cambridge, Mass. She d. Mar. 27, 1780 at Windham, Conn., Æ 79. Eight additional children of the family.
• x. Joseph Bingham, b. Jan. 15, 1687/8, d. Sept. 4, 1765 at Windham, Conn., Æ 78; m. 1) Dec. 14, 1710 at Windham, Abigail Scott, dau. of William Scott and Hannah Allis, b. Nov. 23, 1689 at Hatfield, Mass. She d. Mar. 30, 1741 at Windham, Conn., Æ 52. Five children of the family. Joseph m. 2) Nov. 30, 1742 at Norwich, Conn., the widow Rachel (Walcott) Huntington, formerly the wife of Daniel Huntington, who was Joseph's deceased brother-in-law, the former husband of Joseph's deceased sister Abigail. There are no recorded children of this marriage. Following Joseph Bingham's death, the widow Rachel (Walcott) (Huntington) Bingham m. 3) Oct. 31, 1769 at Windham as his 2nd wife, Thomas Welch, who d. at Windham Aug. 14, 1781, Æ 87. Rachel is named in Welch's will dated Feb. 1, 1770 at Windham, but when she died is not known.
• xi. Stephen Bingham, b. Apr. 30, 1690, d. Mar. 23, 1770 at what is now Andover, formerly part of Hebron, Conn., Æ 80; m. 1) Dec. 11, 1712 at Windham, Mary Kingsbury, dau. of Joseph Kingsbury and Love Ayer, b. Oct. 19, 1687 at Haverhill, Mass. She d. at Windham, Conn. Dec. 6, 1714. There were no children of this marriage. Stephen m. 2) Nov. 30, 1715 at Windham, Rebecca Bishop, dau. of Thomas and Esther Bishop, who d. at Hebron, now Andover, Conn., Feb. 8, 1764. Two known children of the family.
Thomas Bingham (1588 - 1649)
Anna (Mary) Fenton (1615 - 1670)
Mary Mabel Rudd Bingham (1648 - 1726)*
Thomas Bingham (1667 - 1710)*
Abel Bingham (1669 - 1745)*
Mary Bingham Backus (1672 - 1747)*
Jonathan Bingham (1674 - 1751)*
Ann Bingham Mason (1677 - 1724)*
Abigail Bingham Huntington (1679 - 1734)*
Nathaniel Bingham (1681 - 1754)*
Deborah Bingham Tracy (1683 - 1735)*
Samuel Bingham (1685 - 1760)*
Joseph Bingham (1688 - 1765)*
Stephen Bingham (1690 - 1770)*
Here lies ye Body of that
Holy Man of God Deacon
Thomas Bingham: he was
A man Emenant for Piety
Loue & Charity: he was
ye Son of Mr. Thomas &
Mrs Mary Bingham Liueing
jn Sheffield in york Shier
jn England: he Dyed Janr
ye 16: 1729~30 jn ye
88 year: of his Age.
Note: age 87 years
Windham Center Cemetery
Created by: Judith
Record added: Jul 30, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 11447760