|Birth: ||Aug. 10, 1855|
|Death: ||Dec. 11, 1926|
Lois "Belle" was a daughter of Adoniram "Judson" Slafter and Fannie (Rogers) Tice of Juniata Township, Tuscola County, Michigan. She was seven years old on September 12, 1862 when her father, Judson Slafter, was mustered into service in the 23rd Michigan Infantry, Company D, at the age of 40. He was wounded in the battle at Campbell Station, Tennessee, on November 16, 1863, and was taken to a military hospital in Knoxville, where he died on December 31, 1863. He is buried in the National Cemetery in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Belle had two sisters:
1) Persis Elizabeth Slafter (1858-1932), who married John "Ansel" Chadwick;
2) Alvina America Slafter (1863-1877), who married Henry Gifford. (Alvina never knew her father since she was born after he was mustered into service.)
Belle also had three half-sisters from her mother's previous marriage to William Tice:
1) Sarah "Hellen" Tice (1846-1904), who married William R. Wilson;
2) Mary Fidelia Tice (1848-1848);
3) Gertrude Alice Tice (1849-1857).
Helen was, of course, the only half-sister that Belle knew.
On October 22, 1867, Persis's mother, Fannie Slafter, married Ezra Belknap, a widower whose wife Matilda (Brown) Belknap had passed away on March 1, 1867. Ezra had two children, Susan and Hannah. Susan was already married to Ruel Hawley at the time of Ezra and Fannie's marriage, but Hannah was only eleven at the time. Fannie raised her along with her own children Helen Tice and Belle, Persis, and Alvina Slafter until Hannah passed away in 1880 at the age of 24.
Belle married John Joseph Osgerby, son of John Thomas Osgerby and Elizabeth "Betsy" Gaunt, on June 1, 1876 in Juniata Township, Tuscola County, Michigan.
Belle and John had five children:
1) Joseph "Joe" Slafter Osgerby (1878-1948, who never married;
2) Lena May Osgerby (1880-1969), who married Orrin "Glen" Baker;
3) Harry G. Osgerby (1887-1888);
4) Clark White Osgerby (1890-1950), who married Margaret M. Larrabee;
5) Clare Osgerby (1894-1895).
Adoniram Judson Slafter (1822 - 1863)
Fannie Rogers Belknap (1825 - 1911)
John Joseph Osgerby (1854 - 1908)
Joseph Slafter Osgerby (1878 - 1948)*
Lena May Osgerby Baker (1880 - 1969)*
Harry G. Osgerby (1887 - 1888)*
Clark White Osgerby (1890 - 1950)*
Clare Osgerby (1894 - 1895)*
Sarah Helen Tice Wilson (1846 - 1904)**
Lois Isabella Slafter Osgerby (1855 - 1926)
Persis Elizabeth Slafter Chadwick (1858 - 1932)*
Alvina America Slafter Gifford (1863 - 1887)*
1855 - 1926.
Plot: Block. F, Section 32
Maintained by: Joann Geybels
Originally Created by: Amy (inactive)
Record added: Jan 09, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 63952544