Hopkins was baptized April 30, 1581 at Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England, the son of John Hopkins and Elizabeth Williams. He died between June 6, 1644 and July 17, 1644.
Not much is known about his early life in Hampshire, but his family appears to have removed to Winchester, Hampshire by 1586. His father died there in 1593, and by 1604 he had moved to Hursley, Hampshire. He was married to a woman named Mary about 1603.
He was a passenger on the Mayflower in 1620, one of forty-one signatories of the Mayflower Compact, and an assistant to the governor of Plymouth Colony through 1636. He worked as a tanner and merchant and was recruited by the Merchant Adventurers to provide the governance for the colony and assist with the colony's ventures. He is known as the only Mayflower passenger with prior New World experience being shipwrecked in Bermuda in 1609 and after rescue served for several years under Captain John Smith at the Jamestown Colony in Virginia.
Children of Stephen and Mary Hopkins, born in Hursley, Hampshire, England:
- Elizabeth was baptized on May 13, 1604. She was alive at her mother's death in 1613, but there is no further reference.
- Constance was baptized on May 11, 1606 and died in Eastham, Mass. in mid-October 1677. She married Nicholas Snow in Plymouth by May 22, 1627 and had twelve children. She was a Mayflower passenger. Her husband came over in 1623 on the 'Anne'.
- Giles was baptized on January 30, 1607/8 and died in Eastham between March 5, 1688/9 and April 16, 1690. He married Catherine Whelden in Plymouth on October 9, 1639 and had ten children. He was a Mayflower passenger. He was buried at Cove Burying Ground, Eastham, Mass
Children of Stephen and Elizabeth Hopkins:
- Damaris (1) was born about 1618 in England and died young in Plymouth. Mayflower passenger.
- Oceanus was born in the fall of 1620 aboard the Mayflower. He had died by May 22, 1627.
- Caleb was born in Plymouth about 1624. He became a seaman and died at Barbados between 1644 and 1651.
- Deborah was born in Plymouth about 1626 and died probably before 1674. She married Andrew Ring at Plymouth on April 23, 1646 and had six children.
- Damaris (2) was born in Plymouth about 1627-8 and died in Plymouth between January 1665/6 and November 18, 1669. She married Jacob Cooke after June 10, 1646 and had seven children. Jacob was a son of Pilgrim Francis Cooke.
- Ruth was born about 1630 and died in Plymouth between November 30, 1644 and spring 1651. She was unmarried.
- Elizabeth was born in Plymouth about 1632 and probably died before October 6, 1659. She was unmarried.
Mary Hopkins (____ - 1613)*
Elizabeth Fisher Hopkins*
Elizabeth Hopkins (1604 - ____)*
Giles Hopkins (1607 - 1690)*
Damaris Hopkins (1618 - ____)*
Oceanus Hopkins (1620 - 1627)*
Caleb Hopkins (1624 - ____)*
Deborah Hopkins Ring (1626 - ____)*
Damaris Hopkins Cooke (1628 - 1669)*
Ruth Hopkins (1630 - ____)*
Elizabeth Hopkins (1632 - 1659)*
Note: Stephen Hopkins is my 11th great grandfather
Created by: JP Fortin
Record added: Sep 14, 2002
Find A Grave Memorial# 6776866