The Springdale News via The Rogers Democrat March 18, 1910
Mrs. Eliza Grimes, who resided seven or eight miles northeast of Rogers on the Prairie Creek road, was fatally burned Friday afternoon and died within an hour or two. Mrs. Grimes was burning a pile of leaves and brush and in an effort to keep the flames away from the fence her clothing caught fire. A granddaughter, Miss Nettie Ford, who lived with her, attempted to beat the flames but was so severely burned on the hands that it was necessary to amputate two of her fingers. A doctor was summoned at once from Avoca but Mrs. Grimes' injuries were such that she died that evening after suffering great agony. Funeral services were held at the residence Saturday. Mrs. Grimes was 68 years old and had lived in the Prairie Creek neighborhood for many years. Her husband died many years ago and she was living with a son, Henry Grimes and her grandchild, Miss Ford, who is an orphan. Other children are Mrs. R.H.Rumley of Rogers, Mrs. Tom Slinkard of Prairie Creek, Mrs. Kate Ruddick, Mrs. Rozelle Williams and Mrs. Francis Walters. The deceased was one of the best known women of that section and her deplorable death was a great shock to the friends and relatives. In connection with the sad affair one cannot but recall that this is the third death of this nature in and near Rogers within the last few months and also the fact that in each instance, the victim has been an aged woman.