North Carolina, USA
Robert was born abt 1716, possible son of James and Mary (Blanchard) Sumner of VA and later Perquimans Co NC. He married widow Phebe (Beals) Canaday in Sep 1746, in Loudoun Co VA.
Children with Phebe:
1) William Sumner (1747-1801), m: Eleanor Edwards.
2) Bowater Sumner (1749-1829), m: Rebeckah Burris (my 3rd paternal Gr-Grand Aunt).
3) Caleb Sumner Sr (1751-1831), m: Widow Mary (Cook) Carson.
4) Joshua Sumner (1753-c1858); m: Sarah "Sally" Cox (said to have lived to over 100 yrs, but still researching)
5) Phebe Ann Sumner (1755-1811), m: Welcome John Garrett.
6) Thomas Sumner (1757-1838), m1: Hannah Hiatt, m2: Widow Martha (Rich) Williams.
7) Prudence Beals Sumner (1760-1835), m: Garrett Gibson Sr.
8) Abigail Sumner (1762-1854), m: John B Carson.
9) Sarah Jane Sumner (c1765-1857), m: Nimrod Fender.
10) Robert Sumner Jr (1767-1777)
At the time of their marriage, Robert was not a Quaker and the marriage was considered "out of unity". Phebe was disowned from the church. In 1749 Robert became a Quaker and the family was received into the church and Phebe was restored to membership at the Fairfax MM, Loudon Co VA.
In 1751, Robert moved his young family from VA to NC. Robert and Phebe became members of the Carver's Creek MM in Bladen Co NC in Feb 1751 and the Cane Creek MM in Orange Co NC in Jul 1751. Finally settling near Rowan Co (now Guilford Co) NC, they were received into the New Garden MM in 1754.
Robert died sometime before Oct 1777, when his son Thomas married Hannah Hiatt.
Note: Quaker dates are read year, month, then day and also as day, month, then year.
From the American Quaker Genealogy, Volume 1:
"1777, 10, 8. Thomas, Surry Co., s[on of] Robert, m Hannah Hiatt."
"Thomas Sumner, Surry Co., son of Robert, deceased, m. Hannah Hiatt dt. Joseph, same place, 8-10-1777 [Oct 8, 1777] at Tom's Creek. Wit: David Ballard, John Jackson, William Beales, John Hiatt, Thos. Beales, Isaac Jones, Ann Hiatt, Ruth Jackson, Mary Carson, Sarah Beales, John Burras, Phebe Beales"
Robert is my 5th paternal Gr-Grandfather through his son Caleb Sumner Sr (1751-1831).
Source for children, dates and marriages -
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, 1936, Vol 1, Pg 10, NC
In 1742 Fairfax Co VA was formed from the northern part of Prince William Co VA. In 1757, the northwestern two-thirds of Fairfax Co became known as Loudoun Co VA. Do not yet know which exact area of VA Robert was born, but it seems to be Prince William Co. Still researching.
Many, many thanks to Russell Kahn for the pictures!
Phebe Beales Sumner (1725 - 1805)*
William Sumner (1747 - 1801)*
Bowater Sumner (1749 - 1829)*
Caleb Sumner (1751 - 1831)*
Joshua Sumner (1753 - 1858)*
Phebe Ann Sumner Garrett (1755 - 1811)*
Thomas Sumner (1757 - 1838)*
Prudence Beals Sumner Gibson (1760 - 1835)*
Abigail Sumner Carson (1762 - 1854)*
Sarah Jane Sumner Fender (1765 - 1857)*
Robert Sumner (1767 - 1777)*
Friends Burying Ground
North Carolina, USA
Created by: Bonnie's Daughter
Record added: Aug 07, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 56355414