|Birth: ||Jan. 24, 1848|
|Death: ||Mar. 7, 1938|
THE DAILY BULLETIN, March 8, 1938, p. 1, col. 7 and p. 2, col. 5.
Further inroads into the already thinned ranks of Confederate Veterans of Henry County. Va. was made yesterday afternoon, reducing the number to on lone survivor.
Captain John F. Adkins, 91-year-old lifelong citizen, passed away at Shackleford hospital. Death followed an illness from pneumonia and other causes at his home near Leatherwood, Va. The sole survivor of the War Between the States in this county is Captain George W. Trent of Ridgeway, age 93.
Burial in Roselawn. Surviving are nine children: W. H. and Ernest Adkins, Roanoke, Va., John Silas and J. M. Adkins, Wilson, N.C., G. C. and G. D. Adkins, Dyers Store, Va., Mesdames P. H. Barker, Axton, Va., L. G. Stultz and Amy Tickle, Roanoke, Va.
His wife, the former Miss Eliza Jane Minter, died about 25 years ago.
John and Eliza were married on 22 Oct 1868 in Henry County, VA. and some of their children were:
1. Hattie Cornelia ADKINS was born 29 Apr 1873 and died 27 Apr. 1971 in a hospital in Roanoke, Virginia.
2. William Henry ADKINS was born ca.1870
3. John Silas ADKINS was born ca.1872
4. James Edward ADKINS
5. Lucy Jane ADKINS was born 14 Jun 1877 in Henry County, Virginia, and died 29 May 1968 in Martinsville General Hospital, Martinsville, Virginia.
6. Nancy Amy ADKINS was born ca.1882 in Henry County, Virginia.
7. Grover Cleveland ADKINS was born 4 Mar 1885 in Henry County, Virginia, and died 30 Oct 1960.
8. George Daniel ADKINS was born 22 Mar 1892 in Henry County, Virginia, and died Jan 1981 in Danville, Virginia. He married Clara unknown.
9. Belva ADKINS was born ca.1891 in Henry County, VA.
10. Rosa Etta ADKINS was born ca.1887 in Henry County, Virginia. She married William GRIGGS.
11. Joseph Michael "Mike" ADKINS was born ca.1881 in Henry County, Virginia and he married Lula BRASSES. He married 2nd to Mary Jane NORRIS.
12. Ernest ADKINS was born 23 Nov 1891 in Henry County, Virginia, and died 7 Mar 1983 in the home of his great-nephew in Bassett, Henry County, Virginia. He married Lillie ANGEL on 24 Sep. 1916. She was born ca.1899, and died 14 May 1981.
Eliza Jane Minter Adkins (1849 - 1914)*
John Silas Adkins (1871 - 1954)*
James Adkins (1875 - 1934)*
Joseph Michael Adkins (1879 - 1965)*
The Southern Cross of Honor
Roselawn Burial Park
Created by: deegraver
Record added: Oct 20, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 60392219