|Birth: ||Jul. 27, 1846|
North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Jun. 1, 1924|
Charles son of Charles Jackson and Mary Elvira Henslee Ward born near Murphy, North Carolina. Served in 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry Co. F, U.S. Army enlisted in Bradley County, Tennessee 2 Oct. 1864. A descendant of the Cherokee Ward family and of Irish descent. His G-grandfather was Bryant Ward married to the noted Nancy Ward, Cherokee Nation East. Almost all of the Ward family emigrated to the Cherokee Nation West, Indian Territory in the spring of 1834, Lt. Joseph Harris party from the east. Many descendants are still there today. Charles Rufus lived in the Cherokee Nation West, Flint District. (Oklahoma). Returned to Tennessee after 1880. His sisters remain in Indian Territory. Martha Catherine Ward Cloud lived and died at Stiwell, Adair County, Okla. Buried Stilwell or New Hope Cemetery. Matilda Ward, buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, Adair County. Mary Elvira Ward Holland buried at Ward's Grove Cemetery, Rogers County, Oklahoma.
Charles Rufus on left in photo,daughter Zuba Sesile and 2nd wife Margaret Elizabeth James Ward. Buried County Home Cemetery, Savannah, Tennessee. Exact grave location there unknown. His first wife was Catherine Ray of Maury County, Tennessee. Gravesite unknown.
95. CHARLES JACKSON5 WARD (CATHERINE KATIE4 MCDANIEL, GRANNY3 HOPPER, OLD HOP2, A-MA-DO-YA1 MOYTOY) was born 1800, and died February 1862. He married (1) RUTH HOLLINGSWORTH Abt. 1822. She was born Abt. 1800. He married (2) ANNIE GORDON Bef. 1828. She was born Abt. 1810. He married (3) MARY ELVIRA HENSLEY Bef. 1834, daughter of BENJAMIN HENSLEY and ELIZA. She was born 1808, and died Abt. 1878. He married (4) NANNIE CROSS Bef. 1835. She was born Abt. 1800.
Notes for CHARLES JACKSON WARD:
Starr lists in Ward 1-8 Charles Ward +Nannie Cross +Ruth Hollingsworth +Mary Elvira Hensley
In Starr's Ward 1-8-x family line he lists only two sets of half-siblings.
I will assume here that the set that includes, Ward 1-8-6, Mary Elvira Ward is the children of
Mary Elvira Hensley. Because the rest entails a guess, I will guess that the printer left out
a seperator line at the end of page 383 which would have broken the sets into three which would
coorespond to the wives as listed in Ward 1-8.
On page 549 Starr states "...Charles Ward who married Ruth Hollingsworth and they were the
parents of Nancy [Mary?] Adeline Ward, who married Joseph Brown...
More About CHARLES JACKSON WARD:
1817-19 Reservations: May 20, 1818, # 93, Deep Creek, 2 in family
1848 Mullay roll: #1081
1851 Siler roll: near Murphy, Cherokee Co, NC, fam# 23, roll# 1352
1852 Chapman roll: near Murphy, Cherokee Co, NC, fam# 23, roll# 1390
1867 Powell roll: #1081 "1/4 Blood. Died 1861"
Blood: 1/4 Cherokee (by Mullay)
More About ANNIE GORDON:
Parents (Facts Pg): Alexander Gordon
More About MARY ELVIRA HENSLEY:
1848 Mullay roll: #1082 as Mary Ward
1851 Siler roll: near Murphy, Cherokee Co, NC, fam# 23, roll# 1353 as Polly Ward
1852 Chapman roll: near Murphy, Cherokee Co, NC, fam# 23, roll# 1391 as Polly Ward
Children of CHARLES WARD and RUTH HOLLINGSWORTH are:
266. i. ELIZABETH JANE6 WARD, b. Abt. 1822; d. Bef. 1894.
267. ii. MARY ADELINE HANNAH WARD, b. Abt. 1824.
Child of CHARLES WARD and ANNIE GORDON is:
268. iii. CATHERINE6 WARD, b. Abt. 1828, Murphy, NC; d. 1889.
Children of CHARLES WARD and MARY HENSLEY are:
269. iv. MATILDA6 WARD, b. January 17, 1834; d. September 17, 1899.
270. v. MARY ELVIRA WARD, b. December 29, 1836, North Carolina; d. Aft. 1906.
271. vi. MARTHA CATHERINE WARD, b. April 15, 1840, CNE; d. Aft. 1906.
272. vii. JOHN TISDALE WARD, b. 1840.
273. viii. GEORGE WASHINGTON WARD, b. 1842, Georgia; d. Aft. 1906.
274. ix. CHARLES RUFUS WARD, b. 1845.
275. x. BENJAMIN WARD, b. 1848.
Children of CHARLES WARD and NANNIE CROSS are:
xi. WILLIAM6 WARD, b. Abt. 1835; d. Bef. 1895; m. SUSANNAH VANN; b. Abt. 1840; d. Bef. 1895.
More About WILLIAM WARD:
1851 Old Settler roll: Saline, 28 (1896 page 42)
276. xii. MINERVA WARD, b. 1837; d. Bet. 1895 - 1902.
Margaret Elizabeth James Ward (1858 - 1929)
Ella Jane Ward Risner (1872 - 1961)*
Henry Herman Ward (1890 - 1948)*
Rufus Cecil Ward (1892 - 1979)*
Charles William Lawson Ward (1892 - 1921)*
Berry DeLone Ward (1895 - 1961)*
Created by: Larry Ward
Record added: Oct 24, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5885166
It should have read my grandmothers grandfather.|
Added: Jul. 31, 2016
This my grandmothers great grandfather. Her name was Martha Maybelle Ward. She married Oscar Elmer Rinks. Berry Delano Ward was her father.|
Added: Jul. 31, 2016
My gg-grandparents and his 1st wife, Sarilla Catherine Ray, thru their daughter, Ella Jane Ward Joiner Risner, my g-grandmother.|
Added: Feb. 26, 2010
|There are 3 more notes not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...