North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Jun. 14, 1899|
Bloomington (Monroe County, Indiana) World, June 15, 1899, p. 1.
Note: Article inadvertently not copied in full as noted by the ellipsis.
Death of A. J. Armstrong Yesterday Morning
Shortly before noon yesterday, the venerable A. J. Armstrong peacefully passed away after months of suffering. Mr. Armstrong has been afflicted with cancer for a long time and has been an invalid for the past six months. Death came as a welcome relief to the pioneer citizen and soldier. He was seventy two years old.
Mr. Armstrong was born in North Carolina and in 1865 came to Monroe County and located on a farm in Salt Creek Township. He was one of the veterans of the Mexican War and enlisted in Co. K, 14th Indiana Volunteers, in 1861. He served as a private, but on account of his bravery was made a captain.
Mr. Armstrong was married to Miss Mary Snoddy who is left alone to mourn his demise. He was a member of the United Presbyterian Church.
The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock from the residence on East Third Street. Rev. W. A. Littell will have charge and the G. A. R...
Note: Incorrect Obit Information - According to the above listed obit, A. J. Armstrong, a Mexican War veteran of the 14th Indiana Volunteers and a resident of Bloomington, died on June 14, 1899; survived by his spouse, Mary (Snoddy) Armstrong.
Based upon research, it is believed that the aforementioned obit for A. J. Armstrong misidentified the deceased, John M. Armstrong, the War that he served in, and that his surviving spouse was American J. (Snoddy) Armstrong who may have been nicknamed "Meri" which would have been the second and third syllable of her first name and phonetically similar to the more common name, "Mary."
The corroborating evidence is:
1. VETERAN'S RECORDS ENROLLMENT, MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA--1886: John M. Armstrong was in the 14th Indiana Volunteers.
U.S. CIVIL WAR SOLDIER RECORDS AND PROFILES: John M. Armstrong enlisted a 1st Sergeant in Company K, Indiana 14th Infantry Regiment on 07 Jun 1861. Promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant on 09 May 1862. Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on 30 Aug 1862. Mustered out on 02 Jan 1863.
2. CEMETERY INDEX: John and America J. Armstrong were both buried at Rose Hill; Mary E. Armstrong was buried in the Armstrong Cemetery on Maple Grove Road.
3. MARRIAGE RECORDS: There is a Monroe County marriage record for John M. Armstrong and American J. Snoddy in 1863; there was no other marriage noted between another Armstrong and Snoddy or a later marriage of John M. Armstrong to another individual.
4. CENSUS RECORDS: John M. and America J. Armstrong were enumerated together in the 1880 census. There was NO entry for an A. J. Armstrong or any adult male whose name began with the letter "A."
5. DEATH RECORDS: Mary E. Armstrong died December 18, 1909, was a single, white, female, aged 77 years, 3 months, and 13 days at the time of her death, the daughter of William and Kate Armstrong of Kentucky. There was no apparent connection between Mary and A. J. or John M. Armstrong.
Early Death Records Database, www.rootsweb.com: Name: ARMSTRONG, John M / Date: 14 June 1899 / Age: 75 / Book/Page/Record: (Blank) / County: Monroe / State: IN / Cemetery: (Blank) / More Info: (Blank)
Early Death Records Database, www.rootsweb.com: Name: ARMSTRONG, America / Date: 23 January 1902 / Age: 65 / Book/Page/Record: (Blank) / County: Monroe / State: IN / Cemetery: (Blank) / More Info: (Blank)
Burial Records state: ARMSTRONG, JOHN M. / Date of Death - 6/14/1899 / Last Residence - (Blank) / Place of Birth - (Blank) / Age - 72 / Gender - M / Cemetery - Rose Hill / Section and Lot - L, 2
Misc Newspaper Clippings:
a.) Bloomington (Monroe County, Indiana) Weekly, May 13, 1899, p. 1.
John Armstrong continues very ill and it is thought he can live but a few days.
John Armstrong (1799 - 1890)
Ruth Clendenen Armstrong (____ - 1876)
America J. Snoddy Armstrong (1837 - 1902)*
John M. Armstrong (1827 - 1899)
Rebecca Armstrong (1831 - 1902)*
Martha G. Armstrong (1837 - 1900)*
Note: Birth year calculated using death date and age
Rose Hill Cemetery
Plot: Sec L, Lot 2
Created by: genealogyfever
Record added: May 29, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53002113
We can never repay themů We must never forget them! Thank you for your service...|
Added: Sep. 22, 2010