|Birth: ||Dec. 5, 1846|
|Death: ||Aug. 31, 1884|
James T. Riggins, born 05 Dec 1846 in Beaufort District, South Carolina, died 31 Aug 1894 in Ware County, Georgia, in the section that is present day Pierce County, was the son of William Jasper Riggins, born 1817, died 1889, and his wife Mary Lugg, born 1820 in South Carolina, died 26 Apr 1901, daughter of John Lugg and Jane. William Jasper and Mary are both buried in Shiloh Cemetery in Pierce County. His parents were also born in Beaufort District, South Carolina and migrated to Georgia about 1849. James' paternal grandfather was also named James T. Riggins his great-grandfather was Ebenezer Riggins.
James married Anna "Annie or Ann" Hodge, born in then Ware County (now Pierce), died 08 May 1935 in Pierce County, daughter of Elias Hodge (CSA). Her father died in the war. Ann is buried in an unmarked grave in Ben James Cemetery. According to her obit she was living about ten miles west of Blackshear with her son John at the time of her death and was survived by four daughters and four sons. Her death certificate number is 34264.
They had the following children:
1. Charles B. "Charlie," born 06 Oct 1868 in Pierce County, died 21 Jun 1929 in Brantley County. On 11 Oct 1891, he married (1) Ella Raulerson (may be buried in unmarked grave). After the death of Ella, on 15 Mar 1907 in Wayne County, he married (2) Lillie Mae Morgan, born 10 Dec 1885 in Raybon area of Wayne County (now Brantley), died 21 Jul 1929 in same area, daughter of Gordon Franklin Morgan and Queen Mary Moody. Charlie and Lillie Mae are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery at Raybon.
2. Mary Jane, born 01 Nov 1873 in Pierce County, died 10 Jan 1924 in Pierce County, married Francis Marion Mullis, born 15 Apr 1853 in Clinch County, died 20 Mar 1920 in Ware County, son of Rev. James M. Mullis and Pollie Ann Burnett. Mary Jane and Francis are buried in Ben James Cemetery.
3. Leila Alice Riggins, born 22 Apr 1875 in Pierce County, died 24 Jan 1948 in Ware County, buried in Shady Grove Cemetery in Pierce County. She married James Raiford Morgan, born 05 Sep 1879 in Wayne County, died 11 Jun 1957, buried in Ramah Cemetery in Pierce County. He was son of Berry Morgan and Mary Nancy Bennett.
4. Eliza Isabel "Ida," born 29 Mar 1874 in Pierce County, died 06 Aug 1943 in Jesup Hospital, Wayne County. On 27 Feb 1897 in Wayne County, she married James Patrick "Jim" Johns, born 02 Jun 1873 in Charlton County, died 11 Nov 1947 in Jesup Hospital, Wayne County. He was the son of Joseph Madison Johns and Elender "Ellen" Courson. These are all buried in Bachlott Cemetery in Brantley County.
5. Elias L., born about 05 Nov 1877 in Pierce County, died 26 Jun 1950 in Wayne County. On 17 Jan 1901 in Wayne County, he married (1) Rebecca Lucinda Morgan, born 10 Jun 1883, died 11 Jun 1906, daughter of Colonel Ebenezer Morgan and Mary Elizabeth Riggins. He married (2) Effie L. Johns, born 25 Apr 1895 in Wayne County (now Brantley), died 10 Mar 1960 in Brantley County, daughter of Bryant B. Johns and Harriett "Hattie" Floyd. Elias and Rebecca are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery near Raybon. Elias' grave is unmarked. It is believed that Elias and Rebecca had a daughter who died as a child. Elias and Effie had no children. Effie is buried at Bethlehem Cemetery near Hickox.
6. Sallie Beulah, born 08 Apr 1880 in Pierce County, died 08 Dec 1941. On 09 Apr 1900 in Ware County, she married John Leonard Smith, born 06 Dec 1869, died 15 Dec 1947, son of Alfred Smith and Eliza Riggins. Sallie and John are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery at Raybon.
7. Lillian Ethel, born 29 Apr 1882 in Pierce County, died 01 Apr 1900. Buried in Ben James Cemetery
8. James T. "Jim," born 01 Jun 1893 in Pierce County, died 06 Jan 1961 in Pierce County, married Viola Thrift, born 06 Jan 1889 or 1890 in Ware County, died 21 Mar 1975 in Duval County, Florida, daughter of Carr William Thrift II and Nancy Dowling. Viola was born and raised near Suwannee Creek in Ware County and family moved to Pierce County in 1910. James is shown as James A. in most of the census. They are both probably buried in unmarked graves in Ben James Cemetery.
9. Emmie Marie, born 19 Mar 1882, died 08 Nov 1954, died in Bacon County, married Andrew Jackson Thomas, born 16 Jul 1972, died 03 Feb 1934, son of Anyuish P. Thomas and Nancy. Marie and Andrew are buried in Rockingham Cemetery in Bacon County
10. William Colquitt "Bill," born 22 Nov 1887 in Pierce County, died 01 May 1937 in Lulaton, Brantley County. On 28 Oct 1908, he married Tempie Eliza Morgan, born 21 Dec 1881 in Raybon, Brantley County, died
07 Aug 1947 in Raybon, daughter of Samuel B. Morgan and Eliza Rebecca Rowell. Bill and Tempie are buried in New Hope Cemetery at Hickox, Brantley County.
11. John C., born 03 Feb 1893 in Pierce County, died 04 Apr 1957 in Veteran Hospital in Laurens County, Georgia. Buried in Rockingham Cemetery near Alma in Bacon County. Divorced. Was a private in U.S. Army.
Early census records show James in Ware County, Georgia in the household of his parents. Later census
records him and wife Ann living in Pierce County and that neither could read nor write. He was also listed as a farmer.
James enlisted in the Confederate State Army on 02 Apr 1864 and was in Clinch's Light Battery, Georgia Light Artillery. He was captured at Fort McAllister on 13 Dec 1864, and imprisoned at Point Lookout where he was released on 17 Jun 1865. He signed the oath of allegiance by mark.
He was described as having light complexion, light hair, hazel eyes, and height as being 5 feet, 5 inches, and it was stated that he was a resident of Pierce County, Georgia.
SOURCES: Huxford, Ware and Pierce County Census, Findagrave. Com, Footnotes.com, courthouse records, gravestone information, family information.
Written by Dorothy Johns Thomas, great-granddaughter of subject, 3844 Hwy. 82, Brunswick, Georgia 31523
Annie Hodge Riggins (1849 - 1935)
Mary Jane Riggins Mullis (1873 - 1924)*
Ida Riggins Johns (1874 - 1943)*
Leila Alice Riggins Morgan (1875 - 1948)*
Elias L Riggins (1877 - 1950)*
Sallie Beulah Riggins Smith (1880 - 1941)*
Emma Marie Riggins Thomas (1882 - 1954)*
Lillian Ethel Riggins (1882 - 1900)*
Ben James Cemetery
Created by: Jerry Barnard
Record added: Jun 12, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53578956