|Birth: ||Dec. 5, 1725, Wales|
|Death: ||Jul. 7, 1810|
Owen Davis was the son of Phillip & Jane Davis. Owen was born on 5 Dec 1725 in North Wales. He is known to have had a sister named Mary who was born on 29 Dec 1727. No other information has been found on his parents or sister.
Owen was a lifelong active Baptist and a tiller of the soil.
The first information on Owen shows that he came to America from N. Wales by 1751. At that time Owen was found living in Cumberland Co, MD. In 1764 he sold his land there and in 1766 is found in Fayette County, PA where he lived out his life.
(Note during this time in MD & PA there were at least 2 other people with the same name, Owen Davis. No connections have been found.)
In July of 1755 Owen was a member of General Braddock's campaign against the French and Indians. While driving a team Owen was captured by the Indians. Such severe torture was inflicted upon him by burning powder on his face that his eyesight was ever after very poor.
Owen married twice. His 1st wife was Sarah Owen, (1735-1762). Sarah was the daughter of Samuel & Sarah Owen, (info shows her parents also lived in PA).
Owen & Sarah had 5 children before Sarah died in MD in 1762. They were:
1. Phillip Davis 1751-1837 PA, marr. Hannah Jenkins, 5 children
2. Samuel Davis 1753-1826 PA, marr. Elizabeth Stancz, 8 children
3. *Mary Davis 1755-1818 PA, marr. Morgan Jones Jr, 11 children
4. Sarah Davis 1757-1798 PA, marr. Jonathan Morris, 1 child
5. Jane Davis 1760- bef. 1803 (husband & children names unk)
After Sarah died, Owen married Hannah James the daughter of Meshach & Mary James. Hannah had 6 siblings.
Owen & Hannah had a large family of 12 children, they were:
1. Meshack, 1764-1845 OH, marr. Nancy Lewis, 8 children
2. Elizabeth, 1765-1803 poss OH, marr. Daniel Ferrol, dau. Sarah
3. Evan, 1767-bet 1788/1803, marr. Elizabeth Joliff, 8 children
4. Ruth, 1769-bef 1/1803, marr. unk Brown, son Thomas
5. Enoch, 1772-bef 1839, marr. Catherine Shachlet, 5 children
6. Hannah, 1774- , marr. Budd Gaskill
7. Susanna, 1776-bef 1/1803
8. John, 1779- , marr. Elizabeth Archey
9. Lewis, 1782-1782
10. Isaac, 1783-1854 PA, marr. Franses West, 3 children
11. James, 1785-aft 1/1806, marr. Susan Fiztgarle (or Fitzgerale), 2 children
12. Anna, 1790- , marr. David Cole, 8 children
As mentioned earlier Owen was always an active Baptist Church member. Records of the local Mt Moriah Baptist Church show him as a founding member and list his name countless times.
When Owen died he was buried on his farm in the family cemetery.
Note, there is some question about Owen's death date. One source, Washington's Expeditons (1753-54) and Braddock's Expeditions (1755) p 95 shows d. 22 Dec 1809.
His grave marker photo shows he died in July 1810.
A 1927 DAR census of veteran burials in Fayette county showed 7 Jul 1810. (note the web site with the death date info is no longer available)
Owen's estate probate papers were filed 3 Aug 1810, with the sale of personal items taking place on 13 Sep 1810.
Given all of these facts Owen probably died in Jul 1810 the 10th is likely the date.
Hannah James Davis (1745 - 1820)
Sarah Owen Davis (1735 - 1762)*
Philip Davis (1751 - 1837)*
Samuel Davis (1753 - 1826)*
Mary Davis Jones (1755 - 1818)*
Meshach Davis (1764 - 1845)*
Isaac Davis (1780 - 1851)*
In Memory of Owen Davis
Owen Davis Family Farm Cemetery
Plot: Owen's grave marker is no longer on his grave
Created by: The Ancestor Hunter
Record added: Sep 14, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 15733948